If you have installed an antivirus and you are not sure if it is protecting your pc
fully or not? just try this popular test....

open notepad

just type in
"X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*"
(without quotes "")

save this with ".con" extension like: "eicar.con"
scan this file with your antivirus

if your antivirus detects this file- Antivirus is working as it should be...
most antivirus will pop out a message

and if your antivirus doesn't detects it
There's a problem with your installation So, re-install your antivirus

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Kaspersky IS 2012 don't detect it as a virus..?

If you have installed an antivirus and you are not sure if it is protecting your pc
fully or not? just try this popular test....

open notepad

just type in
"X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*"
(without quotes "")

save this with ".con" extension like: "eicar.con"
scan this file with your antivirus

if your antivirus detects this file- Antivirus is working as it should be...
most antivirus will pop out a message

and if your antivirus doesn't detects it
There's a problem with your installation So, re-install your antivirus

While you are attempting to do a "good thing", your instructions are incorrect.

You need to save the file as EICAR.COM not EICAR.con Your av program should save it the moment you save the file. My Avira did.

sorry! you should save file as .com not .con then test it

sorry! you should save file as .com not .con then test it

That is exactly what I posted.
If the av program is set up correctly, a scan shouldn't be necessary, a correctly configured av program should catch it the moment it is saved on the computer and not allow it to be saved. You really should actually know how the test works before posting instructions. Also make sure instructions posted are absolutely correct before posting something. Incorrect instructions for something, not this, but tools for instance, can damage a computer.

Still Not Working for Me ( Using Kaspersky 2012 )

Still Not Working for Me ( Using Kaspersky 2012 )

Then I would say there IS a problem with your anti-virus program because if you followed the correct instructions to save the file as EICAR.COM then the simple act of saving the file should have triggered an alert.

with Avast running it doesn't pop up an error but it doesn't save either... shows up for a fraction of a second then disappears... working as intended?

with Avast running it doesn't pop up an error but it doesn't save either... shows up for a fraction of a second then disappears... working as intended?

Look in Avast quarantine. IF it worked then it should be in there or there should be a listing stating that this file has been blocked. If the file itself shows ON your computer then no, it didn't work because it should not be allowed to be saved on the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.