Hi there,

I was looking up some lyrics and turns out I also got some Adware along with the what I was looking for. I did a virus scan today and this is what came up: the threat name is Adware.CDT, the filename is quicksandlyrics[2].htm. Item info is: The file C:\Documents and Settings\miss lindsay\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Y516369G\quicksandlyrics[2].htm is a Adware threat.

I removed spyware using Ad-aware SE personal. I also went to the symantec security website (my anti-virus is Norton Antivirus), looked up the Adware and used their removal tool (but not the manual way). After, I redid the virus scan and the same thing popped up.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I forgot to mention that when I use the symantec tool, when it is finished, it says that no Adware.CDT was found (even though that's what my virus scan tells me). I'm trying the virus scan again as we speak..

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that when I use the symantec tool, when it is finished, it says that no Adware.CDT was found (even though that's what my virus scan tells me). I'm trying the virus scan again as we speak..

Thanks.

after your new scan the results were what????
Kotchmar

After the second virus scan (and using the removal tool again), the same thing came up. It still said I had Adware.CDT.

PLEASE HELP ME! (thank you)

Removing all pieces of that infection seems to be a bit of a pain; please do the following:

1. Disable System Restore.

2. Download and install the following (free) utilities:

CCleaner - www.ccleaner.com
Webroot Spy Sweeper (14 day free trial) - http://www.webroot.com/shoppingcart...4011&vcode=DT02
Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
ewido Anti-malware (trial version) - http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

- Open Spy Sweeper, click on "Options", and then click on "Update Definitions" under the Program Options tab. Do not run a scan yet; just close the program once the update completes.

- Open ewido. In the main screen, click "Update" and click "Start Update". After the update process completes, exit from Ewido.

- Open MS Antispyware beta. Make sure the "AntiSpyware Autoupdater" feature is enabled, and that it has downloaded the most current antispyware updates. Close the program after you've verified this.

- Open your antivirus program and use its online update function to make sure that it has the most current virus definitions installed. Again- don't scan yet, just close the program once it's updated.

3. Download the HijackThis utility. Once downloaded, create a folder for HJT outside of any Temp/Temporary folders and move/extract HijackThis.exe to that folder now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do. Do not actually run the program yet.

4. Reboot into safe mode (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up).

a) Open CCleaner.
- Go to Options-> Advanced: Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
- Go to Options>CustomFolders>Add Folder>Navigate to these folders (click on bold file once and hit OK) :
* C:\Windows\Temp
* C:\Windows\Prefetch
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ (This will delete all your cached internet content including cookies.)
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temp
* C:\Documents and Settings\<any other user's Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other user's Profile>\Local Settings\Temp
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Cookies
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Cookies
Hit OK

- In left pane, scroll down to "Advanced, Custom Folders", put a check in Custom Folders

- Click on Run CCleaner

It may take a while for the program to perform its cleaning, so be patient. Close the program when it has finished.

b) Run your antivirus program, MS Antispyware, and ewido; have the programs fix all malicious items they find.

When ewido finds the first malicious object on your system, it will ask you if it should clean it. When it asks this, put a checkmark in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections", then choose clean and click OK.
Save the log file that ewido will create after it finishes scanning; you'll be including that log in your next post here.

c) Run Spy Sweeper.
* Under the Sweep Options tab, select ALL options under 'What to Sweep'.
* Click the "Sweep" icon and then "Start" to begin scanning.
*When the scan completes, click Next to automatically quarantine all detected items.
*Click the Results icon, select Session Log, and then click Save to File. Save the scan results to your desktop and close Spy Sweeper.

5. Empty your Recycle Bin and reboot normally.

6. Run HijackThis, but do not have it fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...".
Save the log in the folder you created for HijackThis; the saved file will be named "hijackthis.log". Open the log file with Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the Notepad file here. Also post the logs that ewido and Spy Sweeper generated.

Thank you so much for replying.

So first off, I did everything you asked, with a couple exceptions. I was unable to download the Microsoft Anti-Malware as I didn't pass their validation prior to downloading it... Does this matter??

Also, when it came to the CCleaner, I couldn't find the "Local Settings" and so couldn't get rid of the temp/temporary internet files, but got rid of everything else.

Here are my logs:

HijackThis:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:15:11 PM, on 02/02/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunThreatEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\SunProtectionServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\CounterSpy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1629.0\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunServer] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [CounterSpyCleaner] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunASCleaner.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Dots - [url]http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/dtt1_x.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Graffiti - [url]http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/grt5_x.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=48835[/url]
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - [url]http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20031216/qtinstall.info.apple.com/mickey/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe[/url]
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - [url]http://by20fd.bay20.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - [url]http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - [url]http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - [url]http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - [url]http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - [url]http://zone.msn.com/bingame/zuma/default/popcaploader_v5.cab[/url]
O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - [url]http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/SolitaireShowdown.cab31267.cab[/url]
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{FE1E852E-1017-4CD5-9687-EFFB0F58D8B9}: Domain = sympatico.ca
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Spy Sweeper:

10:56 PM: |       Start of Session, February 2, 2006       |
10:56 PM: Spy Sweeper started
10:56 PM: Sweep initiated using definitions version 610
10:56 PM: Starting Memory Sweep
10:58 PM: Memory Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:01:50
10:58 PM: Starting Registry Sweep
10:58 PM: Registry Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time:00:00:13
10:58 PM: Starting Cookie Sweep
10:58 PM: Cookie Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:00:00
10:58 PM: Starting File Sweep
10:59 PM:   Found Adware: shopathomeselect
10:59 PM:   p1fumi62.dat (ID = 75843)
10:59 PM:   kdlmjh8r.dat (ID = 75808)
10:59 PM:   tm97pj39.dat (ID = 75969)
11:07 PM:   Found Adware: 180search assistant/zango
11:07 PM:   salmau.dat (ID = 93788)
11:09 PM:   salm_gdf.dat (ID = 93789)
11:09 PM:   bln02nqv.ini (ID = 75683)
11:09 PM: File Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:10:49
11:09 PM: Full Sweep has completed.  Elapsed time 00:13:01
11:09 PM: Traces Found: 6
11:10 PM: Removal process initiated
11:10 PM:   Quarantining All Traces: shopathomeselect
11:10 PM:   Quarantining All Traces: 180search assistant/zango
11:10 PM: Removal process completed.  Elapsed time 00:00:02
10:55 PM: |       Start of Session, February 2, 2006       |
10:55 PM: Spy Sweeper started
10:55 PM: Program Version 4.5.9  (Build 709)  Using Spyware Definitions 610
10:56 PM: |       End of Session, February 2, 2006       |

ewido:

---------------------------------------------------------
 ewido anti-malware - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on:          10:54:41 PM, 02/02/2006
 + Report-Checksum:     18F98C62

+ Scan result:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll -> Not-A-Virus.RiskWare.Downloader.PopCap.a : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\70tovmto.ini -> Adware.SAHA : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

Okay. There it is! Hope that helped...
Thanks again. Look forward to your reply.

Your HijackThis log is clean, and Spy Sweeper and ewido were able to delete the malicious items they found; that's all good. Since the file that was originally flagged by Norton as being infected lived in a Temp folder inside your Local Settings folder, we should still have CCleaner flush out those folders.

You couldn't find the Local Settings folders because they are normally hidden, and I forgot to post instructions for making them visible. :o

Try this:

* Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu; check "Show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extentions for known file types". Close Explorer after that.

* Open CCleaner.
- Go to Options-> Advanced: Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
- Go to Options>CustomFolders>Add Folder>Navigate to these folders (click on bold file once and hit OK) :
* C:\Windows\Temp
* C:\Windows\Prefetch
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ (This will delete all your cached internet content including cookies.)
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Local Settings\Temp
* C:\Documents and Settings\<any other user's Profile>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other user's Profile>\Local Settings\Temp
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Profile>\Cookies
* C:\Documents and Settings\<Any other users Profile>\Cookies
Hit OK

- In left pane, scroll down to "Advanced, Custom Folders", put a check in Custom Folders

- Click on Run CCleaner

I'm sorry. I must really be lost... I can't find the things I'm supposed to check in Explorer. Do I do this in safe mode?? You mean, I open a browser... go to "Tools"... and then... ? I just can't seem to find it! Sorry I'm slow :S

I can't find the things I'm supposed to check in Explorer... I open a browser...

It sounds like you're making a common mistake- you need to go to the "Tools" menu in Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. In your Start menu, go to Programs->Accessories; you should find a shortcut to Windows Explorer there.

Do I do this in safe mode??

Yes, that's a good idea. CCleaner should be able to do a more thorough job of deleting Temp files if you run it in Safe Mode.

Okay. So I was able to locate and check/uncheck those things you said to do. I did this in safe mode and then did CCleaner, my antivirus (which came up with nothing), and ewido (which came up with nothing), and spy sweeper (which came up with nothing). I rebooted and did HijackThis. Here are my results:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 7:31:59 PM, on 05/02/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunThreatEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\SunProtectionServer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1629.0\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunServer] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Dots - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/dtt1_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Graffiti - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/grt5_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=48835
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20031216/qtinstall.info.apple.com/mickey/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by20fd.bay20.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/bingame/zuma/default/popcaploader_v5.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/SolitaireShowdown.cab31267.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{FE1E852E-1017-4CD5-9687-EFFB0F58D8B9}: Domain = sympatico.ca
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

I hope that worked. I just redid my norton antivirus (since previously, it showed up I had adware in regular mode but not in safe mode) but it came up clean too! If there's anything else I need to do, please let me know.
Again, THANK YOU.

Also, if all that did in fact work... is there anything I should restore (i.e. checking/unchecking certain properties) and should I uninstall the anti-spyware tools I downloaded? Are there any you suggest keeping?

Thanks.

All seems to be good- you said your last run of the utilities found no infections, and your HijackThis log is clean. :)

is there anything I should restore (i.e. checking/unchecking certain properties)

You'll probably want to reset the Explorer options which revealed the hidden files and folders.

should I uninstall the anti-spyware tools I downloaded? Are there any you suggest keeping?

* Uninstall Webroot SpySweeper, as it will stop working entirely after the 14 day trial period expires.
* Keep MS Antispyware installed; it provides good "real-time" protection for your system.
* I'd keep ediwo also; it's a very good anti-spyware program. Although its automatic update and auto-protect features will expire after the trial period, the main program can still be used to scan and clean your system; you'll just need to update it manually before scanning.
* I'd keep CCleaner as well; it's a good idea to run a program like that every once in a while just to clean out old/unused files that accumulate over time.

Great. I'll do that.

Again, thanks alot.

Right then; does everything still seem to be working without problems?

Yup, so far so good.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.