It's still opening as a notepad file.

That is odd - a .reg extension should not do that.

-- Rightclick it and see if you have the option to Run or to Merge.

Let me prepare it and attach it and see if that works.

PP:)

--- OK - I changed the extension and when I rightclick it I get the option to Merge. Hopefully that will work. Extract it from the Zip and give it a go. DoubleClick ought to work too.
Remember to reboot after.

I thought I was doing it the easy way before because we cannot attach files with a .reg extension.... LOL!

That is odd - a .reg extension should not do that.

-- Rightclick it and see if you have the option to Run or to Merge.

Let me prepare it and attach it and see if that works.

--- OK - I changed the extension and when I rightclick it I get the option to Merge. Hopefully that will work. Extract it from the Zip and give it a go. DoubleClick ought to work too.
Remember to reboot after.

I thought I was doing it the easy way before because we cannot attach files with a .reg extension.... LOL!

ok, If I right clicked the first file that I put on the desktop, I do not have the "merge" option available.
Only options are:
Open
Print
Edit
Open With
Scan with Avira
Send To
Cut
Copy
Create Shortcut
Delete
Rename
Properties

I also tried to extract the zip file you posted, and it said: "The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupt"

I've got to be doing something wrong on my end?

ok, I tried to save the file a few more times using the same steps you gave me before, and it finally took. I merged it into my current settings and am rebooting now.

ok, I tried to save the file a few more times using the same steps you gave me before, and it finally took. I merged it into my current settings and am rebooting now.

Great - Hopefully that will do the trick. If not, run Farbar Service Scanner again and let's see what it says.

I should be home around 9PM EST and I'll check back then.

IT WORKS!!!!! I can not thank you enough! Its finally back online! I appreciate your help and guidance thru all of this.

Thank you again! (this time from my own computer)

IT WORKS!!!!! I can not thank you enough! Its finally back online! I appreciate your help and guidance thru all of this.

Glad to hear it! We kinda took a roundabout way to getting there, though - At least I learned enough to cut to the chase on the next one, LOL!

-- What you need to do now on the ill compy is to DELETE your existing copy of combofix.

Then download a fresh copy of combofix and run it. Be sure to install the Recovery Console this time now that the connection is back.

Please post that scanlog and we'll go from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.