can i install and run system mechanic from iolo.com if i have norton hardware diagnostics installed already is it ok to have both ?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I've just read here that Norton's and System Mechanic can be installed on the same computer. But if Norton's complains you are okay to skip that complaint.

In my personal opinion, when your Norton subscription expires don't feel obliged to renew it. (unless you want to) I've never been asked by anyone for help to install Norton's, but I can't put a number on the amount of people who have wanted help to escape it. I'm not saying that Norton's is dangerous, but it does receive more criticism than accolades in the computing community.

unnecessary programs in my opinion ,i certnally would not pay money to have either on my system .
also is not norton security different than norton hardware diagnostics

If you know what you are doing with a computer both programs you mention are a complete waste of system resources and give few if any benefits.

Well, there may very well be a good reason as to why he wants one, the other, or both. It's his computer. He may want to put even more on his PC. For all you know he may be testing them purely out of curiosity.

This gentleman may be a brilliant mathematician, writer, or scientist and have no interest in the mundane side of computing such as twiddling with hardware or software. He may just use his computer as a tool and as a means to an end. These programs he is asking about might just allow him to keep tabs on how well his PC is performing, and if there ever was a quirk with it he may just want to pay a qualified engineer to sort it out - just as you would take your car to a mechanic because it is too difficult for you to repair.

Well, there may very well be a good reason as to why he wants one, the other, or both. It's his computer. He may want to put even more on his PC. For all you know he may be testing them purely out of curiosity.

This gentleman may be a brilliant mathematician, writer, or scientist and have no interest in the mundane side of computing such as twiddling with hardware or software. He may just use his computer as a tool and as a means to an end. These programs he is asking about might just allow him to keep tabs on how well his PC is performing, and if there ever was a quirk with it he may just want to pay a qualified engineer to sort it out - just as you would take your car to a mechanic because it is too difficult for you to repair.

you maybe correct ,but none of it changes my opinion ,and my suggestion

thanks so much big paw , you have answered my question

And then, of course, there are traps for the uninformed, or unwary, which come at a price. Diagnostics software usually check device manager and driver lists. You and Device Doctor will do that for free. Speed up the net? If such programs don't install proxies and use proxy servers to overcome slow net hops then i believe that all they can do is commence downloading stuff even before you decide [or if]. They certainly cannot fix your line problems or upgrade your ISP connection. Registry fixes? Yurk. Risky, and a waste of time.

back in the day when i first came across one ,and i think it was system mechanic .they found all kinds of errors and fix a fraction of them for free and then wanted money to fix the rest ,and if you did do that ,you seen miminial results at best ! and I think that some bad people see how computer users were eager to payup,these bad people invented the rouge/fake malware/virus cleaner tool

can i install and run system mechanic from iolo.com if i have norton hardware diagnostics installed already is it ok to have both ?

and just myopinion ,as i already might have said ,you don't need 1 letalone 2
and i base that opinion on the fact that i used them years ago and stoped using them years ago ,and my computers have worked just fine in the years that follwed ,but hey who am i to tell you what to use on your computer ,install the 2 of them and enjoy

So, you yourself experimented with one when you were less experienced? Because you did this, you can decide for yourself whether you want to use one or not?

Whatever the software was that you used and it fixed some of the problem, but only identified other problems... that's exactly how I used our car's RAC cover. On our policy we have 'Home Start', and so when the car wouldn't start one morning we called the RAC and the guy had a look, and spotted that a cable had sheared while rubbing against the metal of the vibrating engine. I had the choice of taking the car to an Audi main dealer and have them do it, or to Bill Bloggs Greasy Garage for him to do it, or, because I knew where the fault was now, I just needed to get the replacement part myself and fix it. I saved myself quite a bit of money, but all the more, I got the satisfaction of a challenge resolved.

When I started out in computing there wasn't any of this kind of this System Mechanic type thing at all, not even to experiment with. In fact, I've never needed to use one. But I can see why others may choose to do so.

good point

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.