This has been going on for a while, every time i open up a web page or a program the help window pops up, I close it and then click on the page that I want to see and the window pops up again, it doesn't let me type because it keeps going back the the help window. I have tried reinstalling Windows XP and completely erasing everything from my computer and I still have the same problem. What should I do I can't even browse a page or start a program without having this annoying help window pop up.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Cant imaging that a fresh install of windows didn't fix it .you F1 key is not stuck in is it ,faulty keyboard maybe try another one

No, and then it goes away for a while and then all of a sudden they pop up again.

Sorry ,can't imagin what would be causing this on a fresh install of windows ,and random at that .

Ths is just a workaround but how about disabling the Help and Support service?
Click Start, choose Run, execute services.msc, double click on Help and Support and set it to disabled.

By the way what service pack do you have installed 1 or 2?

Well if you have SP1 and no firewall you might have some viruses there. It wouldn't hurt to post a HT log on the spyware forum.

I second that.

Moving the thread...

Well if you have SP1 and no firewall you might have some viruses there. It wouldn't hurt to post a HT log on the spyware forum.

I do have a firewall. And what is an HT log and how do I do that?

I do have a firewall. And what is an HT log and how do I do that?

HT =Hijackthis ,you can download it here , http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
install it then click scan ,and copy and paste the log in here ! do not fix anything with HJT with out being told to do so by a expert on the program first .

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:49:23 PM, on 5/22/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\program files\zango\zango.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Aladdin Systems\iClean\iClean.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.0\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Garcia Family\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.myspace.com/
O2 - BHO: Zango Search Assistant Helper /fleok=1D8A83A5C5E315789FA575760EA83FA5EF80752B94E3D87A557A422D3CCF - {56F1D444-11BF-4879-A12B-79CF0177F038} - c:\program files\zango\zangohook.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AuditMode] C:\sysprep\factory.exe -logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zango] "c:\program files\zango\zango.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iClean] "C:\Program Files\Aladdin Systems\iClean\iClean.exe" /I
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 1.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.0\program\quickstart.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/21bdf3ba3e0dadc44800/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1148202357593
O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Secure/HPGetDownloadManager.ocx
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

I suspect this could be one of two things.

Either a damaged keyboard F1 key.. or a virus infection.
People would say that it shouldnt happen after formatting. Perhaps you are installing a pre WinXP SP2 copy of Windows and getting infected as soon as you get online?

I have exactly the same thing happening on my laptop. Did you manage to fix yours?

randaril, first help us n yourself by doing just what caperjack suggested in #10 above. BUT START a new thread. Please.

randaril, first help us n yourself by doing just what caperjack suggested in #10 above. BUT START a new thread. Please.

I would just like to see if prettynpink solved the problem. Prettynpink are you still following this thread?

Everyone, I just dealt with this issue.

Likely problem: Your keyboard's F1 key is malfunctioning. F1 is the shortcut to the Help dialogue (at least for Windows Explorer and Google Chrome, which is where I experienced my issues).

If you're on a laptop, search YouTube for a video on how to remove the keyboard from your particular laptop model. Remove the keyboard, and see if the problem persists. While the keyboard is disconnected, you can use the On-Screen Keyboard. If the problem goes away, you've pinpointed the malfunctioning component: your keyboard!

Unfortunately, that will probably mean you need to purchase a new keyboard. But, at least you'll know how to install it on your own after watching the YouTube video!

Disclaimer: follow my advice at your own discretion. I am by no means a tech expert.

Hmmm. After 5 years I would imagine the problem is solved, but thanks for posting anyway :)

STILL NOT SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME> i have same problemmmm

http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/viewdownload/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner download this program ps if you use avira our dont please down load avira and this above program avira does not kick off download for avira http://www.win-install.com/avira-antivir-personal---free-antivirus?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WIN_AU_TopTail&utm_content=Avira-Antivirus&utm_term=avira%20antivirus%20free read instructions fully and do a full scan it should and will get rid of any problem stay safe online and watch what sites you go to

some sites if you are not carefull look legit but take you to redirection links that are prone ie full of spyware use chrome our firefox internet explorer is prone to being targeted by spyware ps avira will block most of these links but more protectection get the full version and for help with the firewall ask the awsome people here ie setting up avira firewall stay safe online ps i use avira because i delete get rid of spyware etc on customers pcs by taking out there hd drives and putting them into a caddy connected to my workstation pc and removing bad stuff and retrieving there data and then re install windows 7 after full reformat get a tech friend to do this that way you get rid of the problem make sure they know how to re istall all you data after drive is full y cleaned

select releven system for winhelp & just download the file 'winhlp32.exe' from microsoft centre.

I dont think the winhlp32.exe file is the problem here but i do feel that we first need to establish more background regarding the system itself.
I do however agree with one of the previous posters that one can be misguided to a site that looks very legit but infact hosts bad files to download. Over the years I have been very selective as to which applications I use and where I get them from and fortunatley Ive kept myself relativley bug free :)

I think if one is still haveing this issue with their system, we need to look at it systematically.

Firstly, What operating system is being used and what SPK's are installed.
I think if we cover the basics first we can figure out where to go next and what questions to ask.

Not sure if anyone agrees with me and would be keen to hear comments.

If browser pop-up blocker doesn't work, you will need to remove this adware via some powerful adware removal tools.

Just to confirm has this problem been resolved?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.