Hi,

I think I have a virus on my computer. I downloaded a movie file from a website and ran it in Internet explorer. After that whenever I type something or whenever there is a cursor blinking the computer keeps repeating the Number Three. I can't type number three because, my computer doesn't let me.

I do not have a virus checker on my computer, is there one available that is free and quick to download. Please help me,

I would prefer a solution where someone can tell me how to change something in windows setting to prevent this problem. Because I clearly have a program running in the backgroud that is causing this problem.

My keyboard number three is not physically stuck so that can't be the reason.

Thank you.

Oh I had a very hard time writing this message because of repeating threes.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Oh sorry, before I posted here, I didn't realize that there is already guidelines available on how to correct or troubleshoot problems. Well Let me do that first and I will get back to you all with more info. Thanks.

Keep us updated on your progress; we'll be here... :)

Hi,

I did some more research into my number three key being stuck. It definetly is not a physical problem. There is a malware on my comp and I can't figure out what it is.

I downloaded the AVG virus checker, it came up clean.

I did some of my own investigation between the taskmanager before and after printscreen. To see what goes wrong just before the numb3er threes start to appear. But I really couldn't figure out anything, I did see an extra task called dumprep.exe. But don't know what that i3s.

So finally I ran Hijackthis with reservation and I am going to post the log file info on the website. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:56:54 PM, on 7/8/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 3\pdfSaver\pdfSaver3.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\programs.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pdfSaver3] "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 3\pdfSaver\pdfSaver3.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

These threes are annoying, I can s3urf okay but can not type in peace. So an3333333333333333333333
help@#333333333333333333333333333333333333

1. Your HJT log looks like very "light on content"; logs usually contain much more info that that. Did you run the scan while Windows was running in Safe Mode, or when you had startup items or other programs disabled (via MSConfig, perhaps)? If so, please post another log from a scan done while booted normally and with all normal startup items enabled.

2. Do you know what this file is?:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\programs.exe
If not, right-click on it and choose Properties from the resulting drop-down menu. In the Properties tabs/pages, look for identifying information (Company name, creation/modification date, etc.) and post any such info you find.

3. It would be very sloppy troubleshooting not to eliminate the possibility of a non-malicious fault. Replace your keyboard with another (known to be working) keyboard if you haven't done that already.

4. "dumprep" is part of Windows' error-reporting scheme; the fact that you're seeing it in Task Manager may mean that Windows is noticing something amiss.
Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through your System and Application logs for entries flagged with "Error" or "Warning", especially those whose time-stamps coincide with the occurence of the problem(s). Double-clicking on such an entry will open a properties window with more detailed information on the error; post the details from a representative sample of some of the different error messages (please don't post duplicates of a given entry, or flood us with the entire contents of the logs).

To post the details:
In the Properties window of a given entry, click on the button with the graphic of two pieces of paper on it; the button is at the right of the window just below the up arrow/down arrow buttons. You won't see anything happen when you click the button, but it will copy all of the details to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste the details into your next post here.

Hi,

Here is another copy of my hijack this assessment.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:08:20 PM, on 7/11/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 3\pdfSaver\pdfSaver3.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Spyware Doctor 3.8.0.2575\Spyware Doctor 3.8.0.2575 + good crack\crack\swdoctor.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\HijackThis\Hijack.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pdfSaver3] "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 3\pdfSaver\pdfSaver3.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe

I checked my systemlog and it is extremly long, I don't think I can post it here without it getting flooded. There is no option for me to attach files here.

Anyway a new development in my problem is that, I have not shutdown my computer in a few days, I put it on hibernate. It seems to work, I have not had problems with repeating 33's any longer. However, I don't think this is a good longterm solution to my prob. I am using a laptop and I don't know how to reinstall things on a laptop and so don't want to risk formating everything and reinstalling and not knowing how to do that in itself.

I see no problems in your HijackThis log, exept this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Spyware Doctor 3.8.0.2575\Spyware Doctor 3.8.0.2575 + good crack\crack\swdoctor.exe

Crack? Really...
Pay for the product or don't use it.
Working on systems that are running illegal software goes against our forums rules. Personally, I'm not going to assist anyone who is using illegal copies of antimalware utilities; kind of rub me the wrong way........

I can't believe i read all this just to discover you won't help! You're not only helping him, but everyone who looks at the page. If you don't want anyone to see the forum then put nofollow in your links, or delete the thread.

I hate it when websites do this >:(

peater, this is not a site that supports cracks.. that is just how it is. But if you have a problem with your sys, take the time to make a new thread outlining it. No point getting cranked up over a blind thread... many out there end up like that for whatever reason.

So you guys are telling me that you can't help the guy because he has a downloaded version of spyware doctor?
And he's right about other people coming to this forum looking for answers. Now what? They can't get the answer either.
I understand you say there are rules about illegal copies of products, but he didn't use that copy in any way to give you guys the information. Like he said, he used AVG which if free. That illegal copy has nothing to do with anything he was asking.

This thread is 4years old but what held true then hold true today:
Member Rules are very clear here:
KEEP IT LEGAL
Rules of this section are also very clear:
Please Uninstall or Disable any P2P (peer-to-peer) programs on the infected computer before posting in this forum. Rather than write a long piece on the dangers of P2P, I’m just going to say this:

P2P software circumvents common-sense security measures and opens a user’s computer to a world of hurt.
Our regular volunteers' time is valuable and most are not willing to waste it on a machine that is almost certain to be reinfected in short order.
So, please remove or disable all P2P software for the duration of the cleaning process. Failure to do so may result in your thread being ignored.
Can't be any clearer than that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.