I see a lot of topics posted in this forum, and in quite a number of other forums I participate in, which post 'Hijackthis' logs and end up with detailed and technical procedures to follow to rid systems of internet 'nasties'.

And I have to wonder - just what's the point to it?

Doing things the easy way is usually the best way to go, and that's what I do myself.

I keep AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy installed on my systems. I never click on dodgy looking website buttons. I never get infested with spyware, and I never get my homepage hijacked. Those tools I've mentioned keep the systems clean, without the need to resort to registry editing, using other tools, deleting things manually or anything of the sort.

And if I inadvertantly click on something dodgy, having those programs I mentioned installed and configured correctly will almost certainly provide me with protection anyway. See crunchie's post in this topic for information about how to configure them.

Perhaps the 'Hijackthis' approach isn't the best option to take? What do others think about it?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I see a lot of topics posted in this forum, and in quite a number of other forums I participate in, which post 'Hijackthis' logs and end up with detailed and technical procedures to follow to rid systems of internet 'nasties'.

=> This may be because HJT is so versatile that it shows the most details that can be of help to solve most problems that they encounter.

Doing things the easy way is usually the best way to go, and that's what I do myself.

=> I agree, but what you do is not always the same as what others do. Some are so curious that when a popup window tells them to not click on a button because it will crash their system, they'll still click on it. just always remember, We Are Individuals and individuality is a good thing (and yet, not always).

Perhaps the 'Hijackthis' approach isn't the best option to take? What do others think about it?

=> Let's rephrase that. "Perhaps the 'Hijackthis' approach isn't ALWAYS the best option to take."

--->> that's my 2 cents' worth ...

heh heh...

Thanks for the comments, oalee, and I don't disagree with a word in them!

It's a sad fact but true that people, presented with a "Do you wish to download and install......." dialogue box, feel compelled to click 'OK'. Not me mate. My immediate response is:

"Hell, no! I just bloody want what I asked for!"

My aim here is simply to generate a bit of discussion, in the hope that some people will read it and realise that prevention is always better than cure. Come on everybody, add your 2c please!

I don't get hijacked either, but I don't use IE either.

I don't get hijacked either, but I don't use IE either.

Good for you!:confused:

I would stop using windows only if i could... but my family uses the comp too... I don't have time to spare to tutor everyone on how to use a new OS, RH9 for example. So, I have to live with it... :)

There's no need to change Operating Systems. Windows can be used with other Web browsers than Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, the only alternatives most people get to hear about are Netscape and MSN Explorer, both of which add inherent problems of their own. A browser such as Mozilla, or Opera, for example, will eliminate a lot of the problems people subject themselves to.

As a matter of fact, there's no need to stop using Internet Explorer. A small handful of sensible habits while on the Web, and problems simply won't occur.

well, one reason i want to switch OS is because of viruses... how many viruses does unix systems have compared to microsoft's??

That seems a rather strange reason to me. I've five Windows systems in regular use here, and not one of them has had a virus infection, ever!

Of course, I do use an up to date AntiVirus program (NOD32) and a Firewall on my internet connection.

I agree, as long as you have a firewall, up2date virus protection, operating system updates, and the knowledge to not click on everything that pops up on your screen, you will relatively have very few problems with viruses/spyware/hijackers.

Also Unix/Linux is not the secure operating system everyone makes it out to be. It has just as many security holes as microsoft, though to give it credit, they are fixed quicker. Its just that microsoft is much more in the limelight, so the media always jumps over their security risks.

If you dont like IE, then try Mozilla Firefox. In my opinion its far superior to IE.

take this as an example:

I'm allergic to pollen, whenever i get near a flower i start sneezing and it lasts for at least a day. but i can go about my own business if i always wear a face mask, in doing so, i don't get the allergies triggered by the pollen. one problem is, I live beside a flower farm...

now, a relative of mine calls me up and tells me that i can stay by her place if i want to. this relative of mine lives in the city. very minimal flowers in the vicinity therefore making me less vulnerable to allergies.

question: should i stay beside the flower farm only being able to get about my own business if i wear the proper protection or, go to an alternative place where i'm much less vulnerable to my allergies?

It's not that I really have allergies to flowers, but the point im trying to make is that, why do i have to spend time protecting myself from something when i have the option to get rid of that something that i need protecting myself with.

Gee whiz mate. I don't spend any time at all!

I've got a firewall built into an ADSL modem, a decent antivirus package installed which updates itself every six hours, Malware protection which automatically scans for rubbish and updates itself as necessary.

Once a week I perform routine drive maintenance, and do a manual scan along with it just for the hell of it.

I'm damned if I know where all these problems come from!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.