Good Morning,

Wondering if anyone has had any preferences with DVD burners under Linux. Either SCSI or IDE is fine with me. I would like to take advantage of the various sales out there for a decent DVD burner, but all of the boxes say Windoze.... Am wondering if anyone has had success with off-the-shelf DVD burners and various drivers to get them working over Linux.

Thanks.

Christian

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Good Morning,

Wondering if anyone has had any preferences with DVD burners under Linux. Either SCSI or IDE is fine with me. I would like to take advantage of the various sales out there for a decent DVD burner, but all of the boxes say Windoze.... Am wondering if anyone has had success with off-the-shelf DVD burners and various drivers to get them working over Linux.

Thanks.

Christian

I've never had any problems with Pioneers or NEC ND1/2xxxx models - they've all performed well under Red Hat 7.2 and XCDRoast with CDrecordPRO so I don't see any reason for them not to work for you. I'd avoid the Sony DRU-500A however as I've had problems with that, but not the DRU-510A which has been fine.

Regards,

Martyn

Hello,

I ended up getting a Sony DRU-540, it has USB and Firewire. Worked great out-of-box with my Mac, and will be trying it on the Linux box in short order.

Thanks for the note.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.