i have a problem with dual booting. i wanted to dual boot xp pro and fedora. i installed xp then i installed fedora and now when i try to load up xp i get an error that says something like chainloader +1 and it stays there. if anyone knows how to corret this it would be much apreciatted

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

This link should fix your problem: http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-157222 If that doen't solve your problem try editing your WinXp boot config at the grub menu, select Winxp or other press 'e' to edit and make the following changes:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,2) // this is your windows boot partition, play around with the values (x,x)
chainloader +1
make active

I had the same problem when I did a dual boot with Win2k3 Server and Suse 9.1 Pro.
I know this is going to sound odd, but this did work.
Go into you BIOS and change the mode Primary Master from AUTO to LBA. I found some obscure refference on Suse's site regarding how the Windows and Linux 'see' the disk geometry differently. It has something to do with Kernel version 2.6.x and higher. Sorry I didn't bookmark the page that I got the info from.

Hope this helps. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.