I have few questions which are annoying me a lot.As i'm from windows background,swithicng to linux let me with these questions:

1) Is there any thing like registry in linux? Where linux stores such information?
2) When application is uninstalled in linux,all the values and files related to applications are removed or remains ?
3) Where can i find information about startup programs?How can i edit entries of startup programs?
4) Year after another when we use the size of the drive keeeps increaing no matter what you do.even if you install some program very few space is released from the disk.Is there some situation in linux. Also many entries are remains in windows even if you uninstall the application.This makes windows unusable day by day.
5) is there any utility To find and correct many types of errors on hard disk (Like Scandisk In Windows OS)?
6) is there any utlity To Maintain Disk using defragmentation Tool (Disk Defragmenter In Win) ?
7) any utlity To Clean up the Disk space With garbage files like Temporary Internet Files,Trash,Temp Files,Downlaoded Cookies/internet files etc.(Disk Cleanup In Win) ?
8) Is there any possibility that I can disable some services that I do not require? (like services in adminstrative tools in window)
9) Is there any tool that shows the process (Inclusing hidden) that are currently running or started ? (Not like the one in windows task manager but one we get with tool Hijackthis for secuirty purpose)

There may be more to look for but i think most of the users will find these questions while migrating to linux..Hope these are legimate question that can be asked over forums.
Please do take time for answering these questions.
Thanks for help in advacne.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

1) No Registry, only kernal and configuration files. It is a File system based OS
2) here no registry like windows, so if we uninstall the software, the file are removed.
3) /etc/profile
4)There is no registry problem in linux
5)yes, fsck command - file system check
6) same fsck
7)no need swap space will mange
8) yes
9) yes use top, ps -ef command... have gui tools also
7)

1) Is there any thing like registry in linux? Where linux stores such information?

there are configuration files for everything. there is a /dev directory that has the device connections and there is the /proc filesystem, that is virtual and holds the dynamic info for processes

2) When application is uninstalled in linux,all the values and files related to applications are removed or remains ?

that depends on the application. there are quite a few ways of installing, removing and configuring apps

3) Where can i find information about startup programs?How can i edit entries of startup programs?

1. google://runlevels
2. google://fstab
3. google://inittab
4. google://rc.d+rc.local
5. google://chkconfig

4) Year after another when we use the size of the drive keeeps increaing no matter what you do.even if you install some program very few space is released from the disk.Is there some situation in linux. Also many entries are remains in windows even if you uninstall the application.This makes windows unusable day by day.

google://man+df
google://man+du

5) is there any utility To find and correct many types of errors on hard disk (Like Scandisk In Windows OS)?

google://man+fsck (be careful with it - partition has to me unmounted before checking)

6) is there any utlity To Maintain Disk using defragmentation Tool (Disk Defragmenter In Win) ?

no need for that on journaling filesystem. that includes NTFS, by the way

7) any utlity To Clean up the Disk space With garbage files like Temporary Internet Files,Trash,Temp Files,Downlaoded Cookies/internet files etc.(Disk Cleanup In Win) ?

/temp
/tmp
/var/...

8) Is there any possibility that I can disable some services that I do not require? (like services in adminstrative tools in window)

google://man+chkconfig
google://rc

9) Is there any tool that shows the process (Inclusing hidden) that are currently running or started ? (Not like the one in windows task manager but one we get with tool Hijackthis for secuirty purpose)

google://man+top
google://man+ps

>When application is uninstalled in linux,all the values and files related to applications are
>removed or remains ?
Like mentioned earlier, this all depends on the application. Most Linux distributions include a package manager, this is a program that allows you to cleanly install and uninstall software from a predefined list. If the software that you install is supported by your package manager, installation and deinstallation is very easy and clean. On the other hand, if your package manager doesn't support the software, you'll probably end up having to remove all the program files by hand.

>any utlity To Clean up the Disk space With garbage files like Temporary Internet
>Files,Trash,Temp Files,Downlaoded Cookies/internet files etc.(Disk Cleanup In Win)
Linux tends to clean up itself in that respect. Obviously it's up to you to empty your trash (but that is a trivial task), and deleting browser cookies and internet files is handled by your web browser.

>Is there any possibility that I can disable some services that I do not require?
Indeed. However, the method that you use to enable and disable services depends on the Linux distribution that you use. For example, BSD-style and Debian-based distros will tend to use rc scripts, while Red Hat-based distros tend to use chkconfig. Read the distro's manual for specific instructions.

>Is there any tool that shows the process (Inclusing hidden) that are currently running or
>started ?
The ps command does this. For the record, here is how you would list all running processes on a system at a terminal:

ps aux

It uses text files.

Depends on the package manager

Where can i find information about startup programs?How can i edit entries of startup programs?

The init scripts.

is there any utility To find and correct many types of errors on hard disk (Like Scandisk In Windows OS)?

yes, fsck.

is there any utlity To Maintain Disk using defragmentation Tool (Disk Defragmenter In Win) ?

fragmentation isnt a huge issue.

any utlity To Clean up the Disk space With garbage files like Temporary Internet Files,Trash,Temp Files,Downlaoded Cookies/internet files etc.(Disk Cleanup In Win) ?

No. Remember to empy out the log file directories every once in a while.

yes. Depends on your version. Some have graphical tools, otherwise sue a text editor on the scripts.

9) Is there any tool that shows the process (Inclusing hidden) that are currently running or started ? (Not like the one in windows task manager but one we get with tool Hijackthis for secuirty purpose

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.