Whenever I run the Ubuntu automated update program and it installs a new kernel version, It screws up my GRUB menu.lst. Not only does it create multiple entries for Ubuntu, it deletes the entries for the other Windows OSes (XP and Dell Utility Partition). Is there a way to set the autoupdater to not screw around with the bootloader menu, or is it just better to update the kernel manually?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

This may not help but I use Kubuntu (very similiar) with the KDE interface (version 7.1 is downloadable) and this does not screw up or change the grub startup loader; I have both XP and kununtu on this hard disk and a recovery partition.

On my Ubuntu setup, I actually installed KDE, which ubuntu detects as kubuntu. Therefore, I have the option to either start a session with KDE or GNOME. However, the original install was the GNOME version of Ubuntu.

This may not help but I use Kubuntu (very similiar) with the KDE interface (version 7.1 is downloadable) and this does not screw up or change the grub startup loader; I have both XP and kununtu on this hard disk and a recovery partition.

To my knowledge, the only functional difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the window manager and software associated with it. If Ubuntu screws up menu.lst, it's highly unlikely that installing Kubuntu will change anything.

To the original poster: what version of Ubuntu are you using?

in the grub configuration file you can set it so that there are entries that are always present and are not regenerated when the kernel is updated. Google it.

in the grub configuration file you can set it so that there are entries that are always present and are not regenerated when the kernel is updated. Google it.

Well, you're supposed to add all extra operating system entries after the ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST line in menu.lst, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee it won't be overwritten, due to some bugs with older versions of Ubuntu.

Just uninstall your old kernels, that should fix menu.lst.

To my knowledge, the only functional difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the window manager and software associated with it. If Ubuntu screws up menu.lst, it's highly unlikely that installing Kubuntu will change anything.

To the original poster: what version of Ubuntu are you using?

I am using Ubuntu 7.10, the latest version.

Well, you're supposed to add all extra operating system entries after the ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST line in menu.lst, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee it won't be overwritten, due to some bugs with older versions of Ubuntu.

Well, is there a way to put Windows XP at the bottom of the list and still make it the default OS to be booted?

>Well, is there a way to put Windows XP at the bottom of the list and still make it the default OS to be booted?

Hypothetically, you could on every shutdown replace /boot/grub/menu.lst with your own menu.lst...

Well, is there a way to put Windows XP at the bottom of the list and still make it the default OS to be booted?
That's what the default option is for...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.