ok, i have installed linux, ubuntu, everything works fine, but a few problems...my DSL wont work, i cant install any programs and it wont find my ethernet or even open up my external hard drive...

is there an extention program that i can use to run .exe installations? cause i need to install my DSL modem, my ethernet, my graphics card, and everything else in my motherboard that linux cant find...

also, how can i run programs that are originally from windows? any execution file or something?

thanks a lot for your help, im new to linux, still learning...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi,
I am new to Linux too. Thete's a software called WIn4LIN that you can use to install windows .exe softwares on linux but it is not free.
For your modem I think scanModem will work (just google for it and afer you run it, it can detect what modem u have) although it is a bit boring having to switch from xp to ubuntu everytime you need internet.

I dont know about the network card cuz it recognized mine automatically but just look google for the name of the card + linux drive.

I hope this helps

to set up your DSL call your ISP techsupport.

to use the modem, enable the restricted driver repo, most winmodems are in there

graphics card - what card are you using?

windows soft: don't rely on it. most things will not work. just use linux alternatives.

@Olsi009...i will try those programs, thanks, i hope it works...

and i have 2 computers in my house, one running xp and the other running ubuntu, so i get on the xp one to find info and the othe is right next to it, so i just move over a little...

@DimaYasny...ok, i will call...do they have special programs for ubuntu?

my modem is not there, the only driver thats there is my accelerated graphics driver...

im using Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

but that software is important to me, and its either there is something special to use for ubuntu, or i might have to just let linux go...

thanks guys, i hope i get it working...

what software is that?

linux doesn't need special programs to connect to internet, most of the features are built in, and you just have to know how to use them

software like streets and trips from microsoft, my motherboard and its drivers, it runs from an .exe file...my printer, runs from an .exe file and a label maker in the printer, which i use a lot...a video making program, i record videos and give them out to people that ask for them...i thought linux would be a great OS for me to use for all this stuff...

the first time i ran linux live from a CD, the internet worked and i used the built in firefox, and it worked fine, but that time vista was running fun and the internet from vista worked fun too....than i deleted vista and put xp, which the internet doesnt work, so i ran linux live from CD and the internet didnt work...than i installed thinking i might need a hard copy on the HD...but still doesnt work...

software like streets and trips from microsoft,

google maps?

my motherboard and its drivers

no need for that in linux

my printer,

CUPS or LPR

label maker in the printer, which i use a lot...

http://www.google.ie/search?q=label+maker+linux

a video making program, i record videos and give them out to people that ask for them...i thought linux would be a great OS for me to use for all this stuff...

http://www.google.ie/search?q=video+editing+linux

the first time i ran linux live from a CD, the internet worked and i used the built in firefox, and it worked fine, but that time vista was running fun and the internet from vista worked fun too....than i deleted vista and put xp, which the internet doesnt work, so i ran linux live from CD and the internet didnt work...than i installed thinking i might need a hard copy on the HD...but still doesnt work...

if you have a problem connecting to internet, call your ISP, that's what techsupport there is for.

cool, thanks :D ill search into that, thanks again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.