I've just installed Slackware version 12.0 on an Acer Aspire 5520. When I boot to Linux, I just get a command line. Why am I not getting a GUI? I selected for X and KDE to be installed during setup, so why do they not work?

BTW, I'm a Linux noob, so please dumb down any replies. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Open up /etc/inittab and edit the line that reads id:3:initdefault: to id:4:initdefault: . This should boot straight into X.

Open up /etc/inittab and edit the line that reads id:3:initdefault: to id:4:initdefault: . This should boot straight into X.

first of all - not 4, 5. 4 is for the custom runlevels.

before you do that, try to type init 5, or startx and see what happens. if the GUI doesn't come up, copy and post the messages you receive after trying to run startx

first of all - not 4, 5. 4 is for the custom runlevels.

On Slackware, runlevel 3 is the default, and runlevel 4 starts {G,K,X}DM.

http://slackbook.org/html/x-window-system-xdm.html

KF4SQB: I highly recommend reading the Slackbook. It covers Linux basics, along with Slackware basics.

well, then it is very much unlike all other linux basics, since runlevel 5 is used on every major distro.

Ah, that's much better. I haven't tried yet to set the runlevel to make it start X automatically, but I did try typing "startx", and it did indeed start X. Thanks for the helping hand. I'll get the hang of this Linux thing eventually (maybe).

Solved! I edited the inittab file as directed, and X now starts automatically. Thanks for the help, everyone!

well, then it is very much unlike all other linux basics, since runlevel 5 is used on every major distro.

Not on debian or ubuntu, they both use run level 2

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.