I opened Alacarte Menu Editor about 10 minutes ago, and tried to make one of my applications visible by checking the box next to it, and it crashed alacarte, and erased everything from my Applications dropdown box.

Now, whenever I try to run Alacarte from System > Preferences > Menu Editor, it doesn't load, and from a terminal, I get the error:

alex@alex-laptop:~$ alacarte
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/progress.py: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 36, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 32, in main
    app = MainWindow(datadir, version, sys.argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 49, in __init__
    self.editor = MenuEditor()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 36, in __init__
    self.__loadMenus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 46, in __loadMenus
    self.applications.dom = xml.dom.minidom.parse(self.applications.path)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/dom/minidom.py", line 1915, in parse
    return expatbuilder.parse(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 926, in parse
    result = builder.parseFile(fp)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 211, in parseFile
    parser.Parse("", True)
xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError: no element found: line 1, column 0
alex@alex-laptop:~$

EDIT: I fixed my first issue, by replacing /home/alex/.config/menus/applications.menu with /home/newUser/.config/menus/applications.menu ----

EDIT: While typing this, I ran Alacarte from Terminal, and got a "cannot be written to" error, so I used sudo nautlius and changed the owner of the file from newUser to alex. Everything works perfectly fine now!

I'm getting better at Linux every day.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.