Is the hardware part of Linux different from the one required by windows or is the software part only different?

Also can I install Linux on my computer which is currently running Win XP :eek:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,

Linux of YesterYear required intimate knowledge of hardware in order to function. Today, it is much different, and any modern machine (Pentium with 64MB RAM, 1GB HD) or more should run it alright. Of course, the more modern the linux is, the more hardware it likes. RH 9 likes 5 GB and 128MB RAM to be comfy.

Unless you are running state-of-art hardware that the drivers have not been prepared for in Linux, you should not have much problem installing. I know that RedHat certifies various hardware products on their website -- provides a blessing if it will work or not. You might want to check there. I have taken most Windoze machines, and happily formatted them for Linux, and they have worked really nice.

Of course, you do not want to take a linux such as RedHat 7.3 and try to run it on the new laptop you just got. 7.3 might not know about wireless cards, or other advances since it was made. Then again, it is entirely proper to put 7.3 on the 10 year old IBM Thinkpad laptop with 32MB RAM and a 1GB hard disk. Match the software level with the hardware level.

You can install Linux on a computer with XP on it, and have them dual boot. Easiest way is to add a second hard drive. Backup your data first. If you want to use teh same drive, it will need to be large enough to handle both environments. Do not squeeze! You will need to re-partition the hard drive, and that can be dicy. Backup your data first.

You can also find Knoppix or another CD-ROM based Linux that does not write to the hard drive. It will be slower, and any modifications will be lost when you reboot, but it will work.

I recommend adding a second hard drive, so that it can be clean. Get something with 10GB or larger, and install "everything". You may find yourself compiling something, and it is a dog to have to go and install the dev kits later on.

Christian

My pc hardware specs:
Pentium 3
128 mb ram
40 gb hd
intel 810e motherboard.
Is this enough to run Linux
Also which is the latest version?

Should be good with those specs for whatever version of Linux you wanted to run.

What distribution of Linux are you looking to run? There are different distributions of Linux, like Mandrake, Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo... the list goes on. Each distribution has a "latest version", so you'd need to pick a distro, and we could tell you what the latest version of that distribution is.

i'm in india so please recommend one that you can get everywhere in the world. Also is Linux gui? I want it to be able to connect to internet, and voice and video chat with my dad in Malaysia using Yahoo messenger!

Hello,

The servers holding the distros are on the internet.... the bigger question is if you have the bandwith at home to download them and make the CD's. DO NOT TRY to download cd's via a phone line.... you will only get around 14 MB / hour at best, and it will be DAYS before it is done. You need a cable modem or a dsl line, or perhaps permission to do this at work where the internet could be faster.

Linux has a GUI available called X-windows. It is installed by default, and has a few flavors: KDE, GNOME, and other older ones such as twm or fvwm and the like. KDE and GNOME are the most popular and feature populated. Linux can boot to GUI, or boot to prompt. The more techie people go to prompt in the event they need to debug something, or are treating the the computer as a server instead of workstation.

Chat clients such as AIM and YAHOO and ICQ are available on linux. Not certain if sound support is available with the clients. Linux will play music (.wav and .mp3) just fine. The kicker is to see if the AIM/ICQ/YAHOO software will support sound in the clients.

Video Chat might be possible. Again, depends on drivers and setup.

Christian

Is the hardware part of Linux different from the one required by windows or is the software part only different?

Also can I install Linux on my computer which is currently running Win XP :eek:

Your best bet would be to try SimplyMepis 3.3 issued in 2004. really foolproof and will install along side of XP just fine .Go to mepis lovers and sign up .then look to the bottom of the main menu,left side of the page.Fourth from the bottom is 'Saist's Mepis guides' check these guides out .There is a good one for dual booting with win xp that you will find very good.
:D I'd give you the link but it didn`t work on this forum last time I tried one.saist`s guides are page by page tutorials that you can follow along(provided you have annother computer hooked up to internet) as you do the install. yup ,these guides really make installing a breeze...k
One more thing I would try to get a cd containing mepis,rather than download an iso off the net. unless you have high speed internet

Download Suse 9.1 personal. it is just one cd that you'll have to download & it has alot on it. So if you only have dialup, one cd is easier to download than 3 or more with other distros. But if you only have dialup, be sure you have an external modem.

Hey kccomputerdr....Have you tried SimplyMepis ? I have upgraded from SimplyMepis 3.3 issued 2004 to SimplyMepis 3.3.1-1 issued June of this year.
This newer version is really easy to run.Pretty well all point and click.Detects my D-link router and my high speed modem.Detects all my sound and vid cards too.Printer set up was a breeze.digikam had the drivers for my hp digital camera,another easy set up.Installation to the hard drive is easy too.Mepislovers forum is the fastest and the best I've seen anywhere.You get your questions answered fast...Sometimes in fifteen minutes,sometimes the next day if you post late at night.Really friendly bunch of guys.
I've had knoppix 3.6 and 3.9 on my hard drive.Kanotix too.Very similar to each other.damnsmall linux and knoppix 3.something live cd's.I've used and installed windows 95,98,98se,used windows 2000 pro,and windows xp.They all suck compared to SimplyMepis.SimplyMepis 3.3.1-1 is the most stable op system I have ever used.I can download an op system iso(High speed 165kbs) that could take an hour and a quarter, while I am listening to shoutcast and googling several pages all at the same time.Try that with windows.Mepis has so much more drag and drop features that is another mepis win over windows.If you want to install a new sound card or a new tv tuner card you just put'em in and re-boot.All auto-detected and no manual driver installs (Windows 'plug and pray')LOL.
P.S. If you are advising Suse 9.1 then you must not have tried mepis.I see some x-suse users using mepis now...Check it out...you'll see that mepis is really the linux flagship,regardless of the numbers.(I think that they are in fourth place)But they keep climbing so climb aboard everyone.It's free and easy too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll try it out & see how it is. i just need a version that runs the home network good myself. I usually stick with Mandriva for that reason, but I really like Suse alot too.
Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.