Can anybody give me some good sites
or sources from where I can learn
these things. Hope to get reply.

Regards
Supratim

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,

How much time do you plan on investing to achieve these goals? Two of your quests are application: Oracle and Java. Linux is an OS. TO think you are going to rush in and get all three at one time may be a bit much.

Linux Admin
=========
Best way to do it is to build a box and use it daily. Make multiple partitons. Install. Do routing. Do server setups. Get Windoze and Mac to talk to it. Setup a print server. Setup tape / disk backups. Restore from disk. Compile code. Configure DNS. Do audio / video streaming. Migrate partitions from one hard drive to another. Setup VPNS. Setup an email system. Setup web based email. Point? You could spend a couple years doing this.

Suggestions: RedHat / Fedora Linux, SUSE linux, perhaps Mandrake. Avoid Debian... it is a challenging install, and documentation is all over the place. Dedicate a computer to it, and run it full time.

JAVA
====
DO you want to code it, or simply run the beans? You can, I think, code Java on Linux. I am not sure... perhaps a question on how to learn thatin the programming forums would be best.

Oracle
=====
Oracle is a hook into a database. Not sure if it is SQL or not. If it is, you can run MySQL or another SQL program on Linux, and use Oracle to latch into it. I personally setup MySQL on my linux box for my installationofan web based email program system (www.egroupware.org)

I like the Black-and-Yellow Unlimited books from Sybex. HAe one concerning RedHat Linux 9, and a second one on MySQL. They have both presented some good reading. Enjoyable.

BUt what you need to do is sit down and work the examples. You will not pick this up reading in the can.... administration is a hands on thing.

Christian

>I want to learn Java Servlets, Oracle 8i & Linux Administration.
Cool.

>I have tried the Sun's site for Java but I can not follow it.
I assume you started here and then moved on to here? If that's too much then you really should get a good beginner's book. Reviews can be found here.

As for Linux administration, you need to start by getting Linux on your machine. :) The easiest way to get your feet wet is through a live CD distribution. These can be found all over the place, but the one that I would recommend first is Knoppix.

When you want to go all the way and actually partition your hard disk drive with Linux, a good starter distribution is Mandrake simply because the installation procedure is dead easy.

As for Oracle, reading as much as you can find and working with the software is the best thing you can do.

>You can, I think, code Java on Linux.
Yes.

"As for Linux administration, you need to start by getting Linux on your machine. The easiest way to get your feet wet is through a live CD distribution. These can be found all over the place, but the one that I would recommend first is Knoppix." As said by narue, is very true, but knoppix isnt your only option there are literally 20+ live distros out now, I use SLAX, and GoblinX, not to mention how helpful knoppix is or Knoppix - STD. Try them out, partiton's are somehting you want to stay away from till y ou get a hang of it, thats why i havent installed yet ( but ive done many partiton's for friends ).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.