As i said on my other post, i recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 in my desktop computer... i have two HDD's, a master and a slave... before formatting my pc to install ubuntu, i moved some information from my master to my slave. But, when i tried to access my second HDD, it sends the message in the picture. It is fully recognized, and it even show's me the hardware details... but it won't let me access it, and i have very important information there... i was thinking extracting the information in a friend's computer, but it would be better if i fix the problem in my computer...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

According to the message box the filesystem was not unmounted cleanly. This may or may not have resulted in file loss, but you have two options: mount it on Windows, or force-mount it on Ubuntu.

Since you say you've got important data on there, I'd definitely recommend using Windows and then cleanly unmounting it as described in the message box, as ntfs-3g is by no means a stable driver at this point. If you really must do it on Ubuntu, then you would type something like this at the prompt:

$ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hdd1 /media/disk -o force

will this mess up my HDD?

>will this mess up my HDD?

Possibly. Like I said, if your data's important to you, I'd recommend mounting this on a Windows computer first. (Although if you mount the partition with read-only permissions, the risk of screwup is greatly reduced.)

i think i'll better mount it on windows...

i tried mounting iton a virtual machine, but it didn't work...

try installing that software which lets you read/write/automount to NTFS. I dont think ubuntu comes with it by default (just search for NTFS in add new software, after adding the additional repos)

try installing that software which lets you read/write/automount to NTFS. I dont think ubuntu comes with it by default (just search for NTFS in add new software, after adding the additional repos)

I believe you're referring to the ntfs-3g driver.

theres a nice matapackage in ubuntu that installs drivers, nice interface , and automounts them for you under /win

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.