Not sure if this is the right place to post. Anyone know how to setup a mail server and what software I can use? I am running Apache to host my site.
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

First thing you need is a domain and DNS Service. Also, make sure your ISP doesn't block mail from a dynamic assigned IP address.

After this, you'll be ready to start. You going windows or linux?

For Unix, either Qmail or Exim are my recommended MTAs (mail transfer agents).

Regards,

Martyn

Dont forget to have your firewall on by making sure that its not going to interfear with any Apache settings to send and recieve. I know programs like MacFee is a great softwre for firewalls, but you have to actually make sure the settings in it wont interupt your Apcache Sending and recieving any tpye of mail or whatever.

Does this make any sense? LOL I just woke up.

Not really, Apache does not deal with Mail Transfers, except when it is using a formmail or something that will send the mail to the MTA, the MTA is what you have to be worried about accessing the internet.

I am currently using sendmail as my MTA, but I will soon switch to postfix in a couple of months ~

Member Avatar for TKSS

Postfix will outperform all of those MTAs previously posted. I'd go with postfix if possible.

I was actually thinking of changing the operating system to either windows 2000 advanced server or windows 2003 server. Any freeware mail software I have found either do not work with XP or is to complex for what I need. I tried installing an evaluation copy of Novell NetMail, but gave up because it was looking for stuff I didnt have. Thanks for your suggestions I will try the software names you guys gave me. thanks

Sorry not sure how to edit my last post. Ok I have been thinking, I am about to give up on windows. It drives me nuts. I was reading online about using Linux Debian to host a web/mail server. I have a few questions before I go and install Linux.

Does Debian come with the software like Apache and Sendmail pre-installed? If not is there a version that does?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to use or setup Linux for a first-time user?

How would I configure my ports (I use port 880. Not sure exactly why but thats what I read online. ) and webpage?

How do I install software on Linux? (remember I am new to it)

Is there a version of linux that not only will do web/mail server but FTP and Telnet?

If I were to use FrontPage on my laptop to create my webpages, would I still be able to load them onto a Linux server? (I am currently using a windows based version of Apache)

And last, Any tips or tricks would be appreciated

Thanks

Hello,

This is a large question, and deserves to be answered in parts....

Sorry not sure how to edit my last post. Ok I have been thinking, I am about to give up on windows. It drives me nuts. I was reading online about using Linux Debian to host a web/mail server. I have a few questions before I go and install Linux.

Windows can do that to you. I get paid to fix broken Windows, and I love going home to my stable, working, happy, Linux / Mac environment. Linux is a NOS... Network Operating System. It is better to compare Linux with Windows 2003 Server, or Novell, although Linux has a desktop environment.

Any large distrobution of linux... RedHat/Fedora, Debian, Slackware, Mandrake, SuSE should have what you want to do available.

Does Debian come with the software like Apache and Sendmail pre-installed? If not is there a version that does?

Major distros come with the packages available for installation. In the end, it all depends on what you would like to install.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to use or setup Linux for a first-time user?

Come visit us in the Linux forum to find out more. I do not want to re-publish the manuals here. There are a lot of options. Be aware that you will not get this designed and setup overnight. It is best to plan. Give yourself some time to plan.

How would I configure my ports (I use port 880. Not sure exactly why but thats what I read online. ) and webpage?

Apache is a webserver. Sendmail / qmail are MTAs... programs that run in the background. You will also want to read about POPd, or qpop. If you want to check your email over the web, look at squirrelmail.

How do I install software on Linux? (remember I am new to it)

Linux programs come in either installable packages (depends on distro), or via source code that you download, compile, and install. Depends on how the gizmo you want is available. A wise Linux person installs the compilers, even if they do not know how to code, so that they can bring down source and make things if needed.

Is there a version of linux that not only will do web/mail server but FTP and Telnet?

Linux is a NOS. It will do what you ask it to do. My main linux box does this: network routing across 3 network cards and 1 serial port, netware server emulation (mars-nwe), microsoft server emulation (samba), Apple server emulation (netatalk), Web server (apache), FTP Server (wuftpd), Firewall (IPTABLES), Desktop programs (Open Office, Palm Desktop, CD-Player, Calendar program, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Printers, other things), and it also functions as a Voice - Over - IP node for a ham radio software (IRLP). The computer is a 550 MHz pentium III with 512 MB RAM

Look up how to use ssh instead of telnet, and scp instead of FTP. Encryption is your friend.

If I were to use FrontPage on my laptop to create my webpages, would I still be able to load them onto a Linux server? (I am currently using a windows based version of Apache)

Yes, if you enable a FTP or WebDAV service on them.

And last, Any tips or tricks would be appreciated

Thanks

Come see us in the Linux forum.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.