My company just opened a satalite office in another state. I am trying to make it as easy as possible to keep everything between the two offices a close as possible. Anyone do this across OS's? The main file server here is Linux Enterprise and the server offsite is Windows 2003. Did you use RSYNC? The main issue I see is that "what if" situation where people access the same file on different servers and they both go to update. How have you handled this?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

OK what about a fast and effecient way to get the remote office to be able to access and work with files from the main server. Currently use VPN and this is toooo slow.

Hello,

What speed is your WAN connection to the remote office? We have a VPN here that connects our two offices, and it moves along just fine.

As for your orig question concerning mirroring the drives... that would be fun even in a pure NOS environment, where you had both boxes Linux or both boxes Windoze. Data is data, and in order to sync anything, you will need to have it fire over the VPN in real time, unless your SLA will allow you nightly updates / syncs.

Describe more your vision, and your goals.

Christian

Hello,

What speed is your WAN connection to the remote office? We have a VPN here that connects our two offices, and it moves along just fine.

As for your orig question concerning mirroring the drives... that would be fun even in a pure NOS environment, where you had both boxes Linux or both boxes Windoze. Data is data, and in order to sync anything, you will need to have it fire over the VPN in real time, unless your SLA will allow you nightly updates / syncs.

Describe more your vision, and your goals.

Christian

Wan speed right now is 768 symetrical (I just upgraded the satalite office today so is is currently operating at 1.5-384 (to little upload :mad: )). It started out that these offices would be working one there own jobs so the only reason to mirror would be to back up the other server at night. Fast forward to the vision now is that both servers will work and update regularly in both directions so that both offices will be able to look at hypothetically the "same" files. So right now I am trying to see if I can use rsync to mirror the drives. Currently under consideration is a T1 for the main office and possibly the satalite office. My vision is to have this moving along with some insight. I can bring someone else in to help but it seems no one wants to touch it.

Member Avatar for TKSS

rsynch function works well for mirroring drives...of course, I haven't done this over a WAN.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.