hello everybody,
I m a newbie working in linux platform.My GUI version is Redhat 8.0 Now, we have got a LAN in our office consisting of some 7 computers. Mine is linux platform rest 6 are working in windows 98 , now i have configured samba server on my linux machine so going to windows pc, and looking in network neighbourhood i can access my machine.
But the problem is HOW DO I SEE WINDOWS MACHINE ON MY LINUX PC. means how do i share windows machine from my linux machine so can u plz help me out
awaiting for ur reply
silvi

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

There are several ways to go about this. I would encourage you to think about what computer is going to be your 'server' and what computer is going to be the 'client'. REason? You can run into trouble with backups, remembering which file is "latest", and run into version control problems.

You mentioned that the windows 98 machines can see your linux box, so the usual steps about checking your IP and other things are already done.

Under windows 98:
* Create a sharepoint. This means basically enable a folder to share. Decide security. If you are going to have a username / passoword combination, have that created.
* Grant permissions to a user for that sharepoint. It does no good to tell me I can borrow the car, and then not give me any keys. Same idea here. Make the share, and then set the permissions

On Linux Box:
You will need to be root user to work some of the utilities; others will not require root.

Look in /usr/bin/smb* for the smb utilities. There are programs called smbmount and smbumount. Those tools will help you mount up the share from win98 to the linux box. The linux box will not see it as a drive letter... rather it will show up in the file system and you simply "cd where/my/share/is" and you will "land" there.

If you would like more help, we need to know what version of samba you are using, along with the permission structure of the W98 environment is.

Christian

There's a free Linux GUI utility called "LinNeighborhood" which acts much like Windows' Network Neighborhood/My Network Places. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/index.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.