Redhat Linux

when i Log out , i find this error? i don't have sound card.

modprobe: can't locate module sound - slot - 0
modprobe: can't locate module sound server
error open mix

Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

Your computer thinks you do have a soundcard. You might want to, as the root user, run kudzu "/etc/init.d/kudzu start" and see if it tries to remove any hardware. You might also want to edit /etc/modules.conf and remove any items concerning sound cards.

BUT IF YOU ARE NEW TO LINUX, do not do these things... just let it be. Editing the files could be bad to your machine. Always make a backup copy of files in /etc before you edit them.

Christian

Thanks for information!
i still can't remove error.
1.run kudzu
2.modules.conf didn't has sound items as follows:
alias eth0 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter mptbase
alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptscsih
alias usb-controller usb-ohci

Hello,

Your computer thinks you do have a soundcard. You might want to, as the root user, run kudzu "/etc/init.d/kudzu start" and see if it tries to remove any hardware. You might also want to edit /etc/modules.conf and remove any items concerning sound cards.

BUT IF YOU ARE NEW TO LINUX, do not do these things... just let it be. Editing the files could be bad to your machine. Always make a backup copy of files in /etc before you edit them.

Christian

Hello,

Where in the process lifecycle are you seeing these errors? Startup? On the screen after you leave X windows?

What version of RedHat are you working with?

I am guessing that there might be something inside of X that wants to load a sound driver, and the system is not letting it, such as running AIM for Linux, and it is looking for the sound driver to play the message bell.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.