I am very new to this and here is where I am at or LOST as the case may be...

98 INstalled on the first partition, XP on the second..
Works fine...

I created a Linux swap partition and an EXT3 partition and installed Mepis

THe only change I made to the automated install was to not put GRUB on the MBR and instead put it on the Root...

I cant remember who said to do that but it was because sometimes XP dosent play well with others...

So how do I get to Mepis...
Do I make up a boot floppy?

The laptop can have a CD or a floppy but not both at once...

I have a spare PC with both as long as I dont need to create the floppy on the same system as I will be running Mepis...

Thanks in advance for any help...

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

98 INstalled on the first partition, XP on the second..

I created a Linux swap partition and an EXT3 partition and installed Mepis

Did you have free space along with the other 2 partitions, or did you wipe something first?

So how do I get to Mepis...
Do I make up a boot floppy?

You should be able to boot the system with the Mepis CD and access the filesystem from the boot prompt.

Hey Ogre..
Thanks for responding...
I used Partition Magic to add two additional partitions after the 98 and XP partitions. It was my understanding that I needed a swap partition of 2 gig and I made the Linux 8 Gig ext3 (I think)...

It would be just fine to boot to the CD and run from HD...

It also installed Grub but I was told not to put it on the MBR to avoid possible Windows problems...

I think it offered only two choices MBR and root

I didnt want to disturb Windows more than necessary which is why I did not create a small partition before windows or one after Windows but below the 8.5gig mark...

Any help here would be appreciated...

So I boot to the cd and when I can get to a "Command Prompt" if that is the same term in Linux... What would I enter...?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.