In ubuntu if i click the left and mouse buttons at once it middle clicks.

Im prone to doing this by accident so i dont want it to happen

how to disable?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Ubuntu enables 'Emulate3Buttons' by default. You can disable it by editing xorg.conf and going to your mouse input device section.

oddly my xorg.conf is empty

but x works....

Then Xorg is using its default, built-in configuration. Write your own /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which should take care of the problem.

sorted it

In case anyone is interested,

by default /etc/X11/xorg.conf says

"Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

it said to run sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg but that just generates the same again.

i added

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

and it fixed it

Couldnt help me with my other problem could you?

Ubunbu keeps screwing with the brightness. Boots up really dim and i have to battle with it (when i turn it up it turns it down again unless you hammer the key for like a minute after which it stays up until it randomly (seems to do it regardless of activity or time) dims it again.

Automatic screen brightness adjustment has to do with gnome-power-management. Try adjusting the settings in System->Power, although there have been some bugs filed with regards to gnome-power-management automatically (and incorrectly) changing screen brightness.

Yeah ive told the power manager not to change it ever yet it still does, and it does it regardless of whether its in battery or AC

I think it may be a kernel thing as it does it fairly soon after grub.

oddly it seems to be saving the brightness to NVRAM? , as the BIOS boot logo will be at whatever brightness i shut it down at

Possibly its a lenovo bug. Ive only just managed to get ubuntu on it, as past kernels used to cause it to overheat somehow.

Hurrah!!

I dist-upgraded to the bleeding-edge "jaunty jacolope" alpha branch, and it seems to have fixed the dimming issue!

And it doesn't seem to have created any problems either. I have still kept the normal Interpid repos too, so i can use apt-pinning to choose between stable or cutting edge stuff.

thanks for this thread, i always wanted to be able to middle click with my touch pad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.