Ok i boot up slackware, now it doesnt seem to have an DHCP program to locate all my config etc. Maybe it does and im unsure. Im dual booting linux (slack 10) i put the set up disk in to configure the connection etc. I run of a modem connected to a netgear to my PC. Now when it says pick device theres a list of devices (claiming to be PCI names. Now i dont know what the numbers represent. Im figuring that each one names the order they are in. Now how can i figure which ones which, so i can have it find my ethernet card.) If there is another way to do all this please inform me if you have the time. I googles around, and i searched this database. Im not finding much on the topic.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Run (as root) "netconfig" and set eth0 to use DHCP. I have no idea what you mean regarding using a setup disk for your NetGear device, but if it's a router, just use DHCP for Linux until you learn more about how the networking stuff works.

Ok i boot up slackware, now it doesnt seem to have an DHCP program to locate all my config etc.

A DHCP client is installed by default - it's dhclient. If you mean it doesn't locate your DHCP server, have you configured your NetGear box to be a DHCP server?

Im dual booting linux (slack 10) i put the set up disk in to configure the connection etc.

What setup disk? Configure what connection? Under Slack, all you need is "netconfig" to configure your basic network settings, including using DHCP.

I run of a modem connected to a netgear to my PC.

Actually, you use a Network Interface Card (NIC), not a modem, unless you mean a cable modem connected to a NetGear router, which your machine connects to via a NIC.

Now when it says pick device theres a list of devices (claiming to be PCI names. Now i dont know what the numbers represent. Im figuring that each one names the order they are in. Now how can i figure which ones which, so i can have it find my ethernet card.)

umm... HUH?

If there is another way to do all this please inform me if you have the time. I googles around, and i searched this database. Im not finding much on the topic.

The easiest way (again) is by using "netconfig" to configure your basic network settings.

I suggest including more details in your posts so we can figure out (better understand) just exactly what the actual problem is, rather than having to do a lot of guesswork. It will also help get the problem resolved in a much shorter time...

I'm not deliberately trying to be mean, but please try to provide more details so we know what the actual issue is.

sorry about my comment and thank you sir. i owe you one.

[img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-top-left.gif[/img] Quote: [img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-top-right.gif[/img]
[img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-by-left.gif[/img] Originally Posted by Sphyenx [img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-by-right.gif[/img]
[img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-top-right-10.gif[/img]

I run of a modem connected to a netgear to my PC.
[img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-bot-left.gif[/img]
[img]techtalk-images/misc/quotes/quot-bot-right.gif[/img]
"Actually, you use a Network Interface Card (NIC), not a modem, unless you mean a cable modem connected to a NetGear router, which your machine connects to via a NIC."

i said it was connected to my NIC, i was just saying it wasent wireless in other term's.

...disk in to configure the connection etc. I run of a modem connected to a netgear to my PC. Now when it says ...

i said it was connected to my NIC

Care to recant?

Care to recant?

ok, run netconfig, now mt DHCP, doesnt require a host name from out knowledge. Our home jsut plugs in a modem and were good to go, our ISP is charter though, netconfig requires a host name and domain name. Any idea's.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.