Hello forum members,
Due to the very slow speed internet access I use, I find it almost impossible to successfully download and burn any linux installation live cd (especially ubuntu and fedora10).
I have been reading studiously in preparing myself technically for server administration using linux for the past four months. I have also acquired two refurbished compaq proliant servers (2500 and DL760) to start my journey in the world of server systems management. Unfortunately, the software tool I need is the problem (the live CD). Is there anyone that can out of consideration for my future success, mail these cds to me? I do not mind bearing the cost of shipping. If you wish to do so, my address is: Emiola T.A. Qest Information Systems Limited, 3 Oshineye Street, Kadupe, Pedro, Shomolu, Lagos, Nigeria (ZIP postal 23401)
If you wish to get funded for the shipping, kindly let me know through this post thread or mail me: emiola at qestinfosystems dot com.
Please help me out.
Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Why dont you just order an ubuntu online ??

I visited linuxcd.org to see if I can order for live cds but I couldn't pay due to their method of payment (paypal). I also contacted their sales department but I was told that paypal is the only method of payment. Could somebody have pity on me and send some to me.
I REPEAT I DON'T MIND PAYING FOR THEM.
Thank you.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Go to any reputable newsagents and you will normally find a linux mag with those distros on the cover.

ubuntu is a hot favourite, you might have a little trouble with fedora though.

Thank you all. I appreciate your contributions however, the solution to my issue is still not around.
If I am permitted to ask:
Why can't a serious, dedicated and ambitious Nigerian finds it difficult to become a server administrator through self effort just because no online store is willing to let him pay for linux server installation cds depsite the fact that he has his hard earned server computer systems to use? Also, why won't anyone on Daniweb be kind enough to send some his way (despite the fact that he is willing to pay for them and the cds cost only some few dollars!)
I strongly believe Daniweb forum is about helping serious minded individuals like me to achieve his dream.
I AM WILLING TO BUY BUT PAYMENT STUMBLING BLOCKS WOULD NOT PERMIT ME. THIS IS AN S.O.S CALL. I HOPE SOMEONE KIND HEARTED WILL DO SOMETHING.
Note: In case you wish to send me any (Fedora Core 10, Ubuntu (i686 or i386), CentOS 5.3 (i386 or i686), kindly send it to:
Emiola T.A
Qest Information Systems Limited
3 Oshineye street, Kadupe, Pedro,
Shomolu,
Postal code:23401
Lagos, Nigeria

Thanks.

Hi,

You can visit this link https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ where you can order LiveCds of Ubuntu Server or Desktop Editions and they will mail it to you for FREE!!!!

You may have to create an account first and then fill in your postal address. You will receive the cd in a month's time. And also you can order more than one cd if want ( max of 12 CDs)

Krnekhelesh is right, this is the easiest option.
If you can't wait for the CDs to arrive you can probably download the CD itself and burn it for the same effect. This might not be very easy depending on the hardware you have and the speed and stability of your Internet connection, so I would advise to do both: order a few CD (I tend to misplace them :) ) and then start a download. My first download of Ubuntu was from the Costa Rican jungle over a line that stopped when wet and during the rainy season, so I know it can be a hassle.
Also I am only speaking for Ubuntu which is my personal choice, though I am sure other distributions can be downloaded as well. Ubuntu did solve most of my issues, even though I have to use XP for some of my work.
I hope it helps.
Patrick_

Thanks a lot folks. You are rigth about the free ubuntu cd. I have already recieved one from canonica but the 9.04 release I recieved is the X64-bit version which is not compatible with my systems. My systems require the i386 OR i686 versions for installation. All my efforts to get either of these have been really difficult. I will prefer to have any of the following: Fedora Core, Red hat enterprise, Ubuntu (i386), CentOS (i386) version.
A friend of mine provided me with RHEL 3 to start something on my dell poweredge machines. Although it is an old version but I greatly appreciate it. To tell you, I like it very much as it is challenging. However, I want to use the latest or current versions.
Please help me.
I have already started encountering issues on the RHEL 3: None of the two ethernet card (eth and eth1) ip address could be detected during booting despite the fact that my other systems running windows XP are internet connected on my LAN. I will open a new thread for this issue soon. I will inform you here when I do.
Every help that comes my way in terms of theis cd issue is greatly welcome.
Thanks once more.

When you order the CD's from shipit.ubuntu.com you get to choose whether you want the 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu installation cd. They also provide you options between desktop Edition and Server Edition.

I'm guessing you choose the wrong one. For the i386 you have choose the 32-bit desktop edition.

I have already received one from canonica but the 9.04 release I recieved is the X64-bit version which is not compatible with my systems.

Indeed I just checked the website and they don't seem to ask what kind of processor you have. Now I was surprised to see myself "logged in" on the Ubuntu Website with the name (Patrick P.) I use only for DaniWeb, and I have not been on that site with this brand new PC yet, so I guess Daniweb is recorded somewhere on their database and triggers the selection of the 64 bits version.
What else could explain that?
In any case I needed a D so I ordered one and we will see what version I get.
In the meantime I suggest you try and download the disk image in 32 bits.
best
Patrick_

ok that's wierd.....cause I remember when I ordered a 9.04 ubuntu cd I was asked to create an account in launchpad and only using that account I could order the cds.

And also I got the 32-bit version delivered to me. I have no idea why they didnt provide an option to choose which 32 bit or 64 bit architecture we want.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.