Hi!

I wish to create my own Operating System, be it how small, even if I am able to write few words, appearing on monitor, save it in a file and then reopen the file.

Can anyone of the good samaratins would come forward and help guide me.

Thanks in advance
Vasudev

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi!

I wish to create my own Operating System, be it how small, even if I am able to write few words, appearing on monitor, save it in a file and then reopen the file.

Can anyone of the good samaratins would come forward and help guide me.

Thanks in advance
Vasudev

Hello,

Tanenbaum
Ridiculously overpriced, but the Bible of Operating System construction. If you could find a used copy of 2nd edition, it would work just as well.

Minix Complete OS source code for reference (it is the code used in Tanenbaum's book).

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. " -- Linux Torvalds, Aug 1991

You just never know!

Thanks.

mp

Hi Vasudev1.
I know this feeling of yours :) ! I had the same feeling several years ago. To tell the truth this was the reason that I finaly used linux (slackware).
When I started I found this link very interesting: http://www.uow.edu.au/~nabg/ABC/ABC.html - especially the Part 1. Introduction to Computers.
After this I realised that everything what should an OS contain (and some more) is in the linux kernel and shell - and so I started read source codes of the linux kernel and the shells. And I do it all the time. It is amazeing!

linux from scratch is neat... you could always check out freedos too and learn from its sourcecode.

I've created a group just for it

To find groups:

control panel > networking > social groups
its called Programming Revolution ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.