Hi Folks...thank you for your help.

I just built my newest rig and loaded SUSE 9.2 Pro rather than XP Pro. I really love the OS except that the gaming experience is lacking. I'm trying to boot Linux UT 2003 off an old copy of the game CDs. I found the Linux installer on disc 3 and started the install. Everything was going fine until it asked me to insert the "Play disc" in my CD-ROM drive. When I inserted the play disc (disc #1 I figured) and hit "Yes" to retry nothing happened. I tried all the discs, still nothing. I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the fact that I don't actually have a CD-ROM Drive, I have a Samsung DVD-ROM (/media/dvd). If this is the problem can someone tell me a way around this other than buy in a new drive? If not, what is the issue here?

Thank you again...Dan

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi Folks...thank you for your help.

I just built my newest rig and loaded SUSE 9.2 Pro rather than XP Pro. I really love the OS except that the gaming experience is lacking. I'm trying to boot Linux UT 2003 off an old copy of the game CDs. I found the Linux installer on disc 3 and started the install. Everything was going fine until it asked me to insert the "Play disc" in my CD-ROM drive. When I inserted the play disc (disc #1 I figured) and hit "Yes" to retry nothing happened. I tried all the discs, still nothing. I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the fact that I don't actually have a CD-ROM Drive, I have a Samsung DVD-ROM (/media/dvd). If this is the problem can someone tell me a way around this other than buy in a new drive? If not, what is the issue here?

Thank you again...Dan

that's problem

that's problem

If you don't have anything productive to post, please don't.

To djsjbh:

Are we even certain the disc is mounted? Usually, games look for things to be mounted at /dev/cdrom . As root:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

If /mnt/cdrom doesn't exist, just fix that by typing

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

as root.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.