Hello all,

I'm new here and need your help for a litle thing.
I'm trying to install a vmware 4 on Mandrake 9.1 Linux.

But, the installation freeze after the message that show two different identifications to my kernel. One 2.4.x and other 2.4.x-mdk. IN fact I think it's the same but they doesn't continue.

Could someone help me about it.

The vmware home page have an advice that MDK 9.1 had not compliance. But I know that several people can run in it.

Well, thanks in advance.

Eduardo - Rio, Brasil

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I'm confused - which version of the kernel are you running? Are you using a precompiled version of VMWare or are you trying to compile it yourself? an *.rpm ??

Dani,
First, Thank you for the quick reply.

I need to confirm, please wait a minute and I'll came back with the answer.
Regards
Eduardo

Hi,
I'm back!

The installation is from the ./vmware-install.pl command, so I think it is not an precompiled pack.

The message appears just after the ask for:

"What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]"

And the message before the freeze is:

"The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.21) does not match your running kernel (version 2.4.21-0.13mdk). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel."

And, I don't know what is going on.

Thanks again for the help & reagrds,

Eduardo

Why did you post as a new thread? I merged your 2 threads into this one.

Ok, sorry!

Hi all,

Sorry if I post the issue as new one. But this way the massage have a better visibility.

I'm trying to install vmware 4 on Mandrake Linux 9.1 and cannot pass from the problem related below:

The installation is from the ./vmware-install.pl command, so I think it is not an precompiled pack.

The message appears just after the ask for:

"What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]"

And the message before the freeze is:

"The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.21) does not match your running kernel (version 2.4.21-0.13mdk). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel."

And, I don't know what is going on.

Thanks again for the help & reagrds,

Eduardo

You posted a new thread again. Please use the Post Reply button and not the New Post button. Thanks.

I'm guilt !! - Sorry!!

Best wishes,
Eduardo

OK, it seems as if you're trying to use a precompiled version of VMWare instead of compiling it itself for your kernel. Go back to the VMware site and read the following:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/install_linux_ws.html

Make sure that your header files are indeed in /usr/src/linux/include and not somewhere else. You cannot compile the modules without them.

Sorry, I haven't used VMWare in years and I'm about to run out now.

Once again, Thanks a lot.

I'll read the suggested link.

Tell you later about it.

Bye!

i am running Mnadrake 9.2 64-Bit, also trying to install VMWare Workstation 4 also and i get this error..

"What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
address space size as your running kernel."

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? please?

thanks in adv...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.