i am using Red Hat linux 9.0.
when i booting the system it gives
"filesystem error.Run fsck manually."
and asking for root password for maintanace. when i raun fsck .the system booting without giving errors.once we restart the computer it gives same error as above"
so can u give me solution?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is this a new install? ie can you wipe and start over or are you trying to upgrade? When my old machines give me this its usually some bad areas on the drive and I just reformat and reinstall.

and asking for root password for maintanace. when i raun fsck .the system booting without giving errors.once we restart the computer it gives same error as above"

Run fsck.....Itz a filesystem checking command......
"e2fsck -b ext2(0r 8193) /dev/hda0(or 1 or 2 or 3)"
Most probably the above command will fix the problem....

From In search of l33t [subverted.net]:

You can force an immediate reboot and on the reboot an fsck by issuing the command …
shutdown -F -r

The machine drives will be unmounted cleanly, and the system will reboot. While the machine is rebooting the system will force fsck all drives that are set to mount automatically as specified in /etc/fstab.

The guy also suggests touching forcefsck under root (/). IIRC, both of these things were suggested in Essential System Administrator [oreily.com]

Member Avatar for arimr

This may be a silly question, but do you shut down the system with the 'shutdown' command before turning it off? If you don't cleanly unmount the disk then cached information won't get written to the disk and it will need an fsck upon reboot.

I think the one question the everyone has been missing is which filesystem is it saying needs to have the fsck run? Check the /etc/fstab file and see what partitions you are mounting and make sure that you run fsck on all of them.

Member Avatar for Trinco

I experience the same problem just a week ago, the problem was bad clusters on disk, just the sector where GRUB was installed :(
After some fsck's I realise that dropping the old HDD and buying a new one it's the better fix :S
Try HirenBoot live CD, you'll find tools to make low-level formats, maybe you can fix the problem (if you've bad clusters, of course).
Greetings from Argentina!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.