Just a poll ... where are all you linux gurus most comfortable? Where do you do most of your work? Where are you more efficient? ... Well, you get the idea ;)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Just a poll ... where are all you linux gurus most comfortable? Where do you do most of your work? Where are you more efficient? ... Well, you get the idea.

Ahh... but which environment are you referring to? Physical or virtual? Hardware or software? Rec room or cubicle?

i do most of the things i need to do in linux like install stuff and move files and folders and stuff like that in console but when im jst using linux for other things like surfing i use x but i voted for console. :)

i do most of the things i need to do in linux like install stuff and move files and folders and stuff like that in console but when im jst using linux for other things like surfing i use x but i voted for console. :)

Ditto.

Right now I would have to say x windows, but I am learning more about the console. The console took awhile to learn, but is now becoming more intuitive. I have an old computer without enough ram to run X, so this will be a good learning computer. Full immersion in the cli.

Console.

I'm just faster there. :cool:

Most of the things I do, with the exception of movies and graphics, have command-line tools available. I type way faster than I click, so console it is!

Funny thing is, I do most of my work in a console, but I'm usually using a terminal. That's why I use a windowmanager like ion that is VERY minimalistic, and allows me to have a freaking TON of X terminals open on my dual 1280x1024 monitor setup. Sometimes, I'll have so many things running, I can have 8 or 9 gnome-terminals (gnome-terminal has tabs!) running, and have 3 or 4 tabs in each window.

console => Development, Troubleshooting, Mail, VI (because pico deserves to live behind a dumpster)

Gnome => Graphic Developement (gimp), Open Office

XP => Graphic Development (Photoshop), Gaming (because I can't play xpilot all day :P), other people in my family who always bother me about Linux and I am too lazy to teach them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.