I have recently installed VMWare Workstation 4 on my local PC.

My host OS is Win XP (Pro) and my guest OS is Lunux (Read Hat 7.2).

I would llike to transfer files from my host OS to my guest OS - VMWare says this can be easily accomplished with 'drag and drop'. Please see http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/running_dragdrop_html.html

Where do I drag and drop the files to?

This is really bugging me and ruining a perfectly beautiful rainy Saturday morning in the pacific north-west.

Am I a complete dolt that I dont understand the instruct6ions? The manual says it is easy to do - but, unless I am a complete buffoon, it does not say which destination folder I can 'drag and drop'file to.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Firt of all,

Think about the opposite schema.

To put your RH as your OS and instal the VMWare over it, so the XP after that.

It's my case, Mandrake, VMWare and Win2k.

Basicly the content copied on one side can be pasted on another.

To change from one side to another I use the default HotKey (ctrl+alt).

For files transfer, the best is to use SAMBA. But, remeber that NTFS is ready only for samba. One alternative is to create a Fat32 partition on win side to allow file transfers.

Good Luck,

Eduardo

For files transfer, the best is to use SAMBA. But, remeber that NTFS is ready only for samba. One alternative is to create a Fat32 partition on win side to allow file transfers.

I'd have to agree with the first sentence of this statement, but not with the rest of it.

If you're running Linux and Windows, regardless of which one is host and which one is guest, your best bet is to set up the guest OS with a virtual network adapter and run SAMBA. That way, you would just treat it like you have two machines on a network. Additionally, when you're working with SAMBA, it's irrelevant which filesystem the OS has that you're copying files to. If you're copying from the Linux system to the Windows system, it will work just fine whether the Windows system is running NTFS or FAT.

I should know-- I'm constantly copying files between *nix boxen and Win2k servers running NTFS!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.