Hi all,

First of all, I never experienced problems using secured pages, except for (this) one site.

To picture it in short, I use a login page, get directed to an other login page, I DO get logged in, and as I'm logged in, an other page (main secured page) is normally loaded.

Problem: using Firefox and Opera in Linux gives the following errors:

Firefox: (free translation) "Can't find the server on" followed by a string containing some numbers and letters, ends on a dash (hyphen?) a dot, followed by the domain name from the site.

Opera: "You tried to access the address " followed by an url starting with "https://" and containing a different address then firefox mentions.

I use Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Zenwalk and Slax, on different computers, and get the
same error on all of them :(

An other maybe interesting fact is that in the past I didn't have any problems at all logging in, but like half a year ago this error started, after trying a few times I could get logged in.
This could be (probably is) because the string mentioned above was changing every login, and is not changing anymore now...

To me it seems there are 2 possible sources for the error.
- Firefox and Opera can't handle certain character(combo's) in url's (the changing string part in the url)
- The folks running the website have some bugs in there scripts/server

In the end I can leave out the possible "network-error" or "firewall blocking" thing because I tried without firewall, and all other secured pages just work.

So my question (if you are still reading (I do hope so)) is:
Does anybody else have this problem?
Tips on solving this one? (I can't directly get to talk to the people running the site, the people from the help desk won't put me in contact with them)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

do firefox and opera in windows work?

do firefox and opera in windows work?

Well, I just tried, and it did work under windows...
(but I rarely can use a windows machine...)

>>- The folks running the website have some bugs in there scripts/server

Sounds like an issue on their end. Unfortunately without being able to reproduce the problem its almost impossible to give you advice. Are you willing to share the URL?

>>- The folks running the website have some bugs in there scripts/server

Sounds like an issue on their end. Unfortunately without being able to reproduce the problem its almost impossible to give you advice. Are you willing to share the URL?

Well, It's not a public site so I can't (not allowed to) give you the URL :(

But if you too think there's a bug in the scripts/server, I feel feel more confident to put things further then our helpdesk, at which they also haven't got a clue, and can't even get in touch (told me) with the people doing the maintaining of the website...

I't isn't going to be a matter of days, before I expect to be able to contact one of those people...
Anyway, I'll keep you posted

Thnx for looking into my problem..
Hope to inform you soon on the outcome but as I said, that can take a while.. :(

grtz

Mocabilly

Well, I tried firefox for windows under wine, same error... :(

Hi all,

My problem (below) is solved..

It seems that "somehow" in linux that domain name isn't auto-resolved to the IP address.. (why, I still don't know)
I added an entry containing the domain with the special key added to it , to my /etc/hosts file, now everything just works fine..

Just as some extra info to you, en example of how to add a domain
to your /etc/hosts file, you have to add it in this way:

8.10.77.140 gui-.deviantart.com
(IPaddress tab domainname)

Hi all,

First of all, I never experienced problems using secured pages, except for (this) one site.

To picture it in short, I use a login page, get directed to an other login page, I DO get logged in, and as I'm logged in, an other page (main secured page) is normally loaded.

Problem: using Firefox and Opera in Linux gives the following errors:

Firefox: (free translation) "Can't find the server on" followed by a string containing some numbers and letters, ends on a dash (hyphen?) a dot, followed by the domain name from the site.

Opera: "You tried to access the address " followed by an url starting with "https://" and containing a different address then firefox mentions.

I use Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Zenwalk and Slax, on different computers, and get the
same error on all of them :(

An other maybe interesting fact is that in the past I didn't have any problems at all logging in, but like half a year ago this error started, after trying a few times I could get logged in.
This could be (probably is) because the string mentioned above was changing every login, and is not changing anymore now...

To me it seems there are 2 possible sources for the error.
- Firefox and Opera can't handle certain character(combo's) in url's (the changing string part in the url)
- The folks running the website have some bugs in there scripts/server

In the end I can leave out the possible "network-error" or "firewall blocking" thing because I tried without firewall, and all other secured pages just work.

So my question (if you are still reading (I do hope so)) is:
Does anybody else have this problem?
Tips on solving this one? (I can't directly get to talk to the people running the site, the people from the help desk won't put me in contact with them)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.