Trying to install this version of ubuntu on an older laptop with no OS. I get through the installation process fine and reboot as instructed. Next I get loading grub 1.5 this then changes to starting up and thats it....help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

what steps did you take to install it?

my guess would be something from a previous install is lingering? (i.e. did you format the partition?, etc...)

I just tried installing without any OS in computer. Windows ME was in it and I just wanted to put ubuntu on this system.

ok, but did you delete the partition, create the partition, format, and install? Or did you just install into the partition (which should still do a format, but it may have done something wrong).

I suggest you try re-installing with a totally clean slate.

OK...I got ubuntu installed by disabling everything in bios and going backwards from there. But I do have one problem from the result of the install.......my touch pad on the laptop is not working...and yes I did enable it in the bios...any ideas????

I also have the same problem please help

Did you try the mouse when using a live CD? Have you tried a newer or older version of Ubuntu?

Do you have a USB mouse to try?

Perhaps Ubuntu doesn't have a driver for the touch pad an older version may or maybe a new version does, can't hurt to try the live CD's.

Did you try the mouse when using a live CD? Have you tried a newer or older version of Ubuntu?

Do you have a USB mouse to try?

Perhaps Ubuntu doesn't have a driver for the touch pad an older version may or maybe a new version does, can't hurt to try the live CD's.

Never tried the touchpad with the live version. USB mouse does work. Any thoughts on getting the touchpad to work again??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.