Greetings for the community of this forum!

I have a Doubt...

I have a primary partition for Windows and an Extended Partition for Data.

I have decreased the size of the primary partition, so now I have 20GB of unllocated space.

When I put the live cd of Ubuntu, I know I want space for / "root", /home and swapp.

The partition type for the root, /home and swapp should it be primary or logical?

This is my doubt

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

If you boot using the CD when you start the installation a partitioning tool should come up during the process. I would create a partition of around 16GB for the installation of Ubuntu and the rest for Swap space.

If you have already shrunk your windows partition, just choose "install into free space" and it will automatically make a swap and a / partition of you of the size it sees fit.

If you have already shrunk your windows partition, just choose "install into free space" and it will automatically make a swap and a / partition of you of the size it sees fit.

Your partitions have been made using the windows partition manager I presume. The 20gb partition oyu created is likely the larget continous free space in your HD. If it is, the when booting form the ubuntu cd, choose "install in the largest continous free space". You likely will get a 19gb drive for ubuntu, that is likely plenty, if you intend to continue using windows too, and not Ubuntu exclusively. Have fun! Ubuntu is great...BTW what make is the computer?

Cheupe

That is likely plenty, if you intend to continue using windows too, and not Ubuntu exclusively. Have fun! Ubuntu is great...BTW what make is the computer?
<snipped fake sig link>

for your 20GB i'd recommend, make 100MB "/boot" primary partition, 2GB swap pariition and the rest primary root "/" partition

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.