well hello all been about half a year since i was last on here and it has changed alot for the good definatly :D ....

anyway my question.....

on linux operating systems it is not like xp where you jus run the .exe and install it

so how the hell do you install files on could someone give me a real newbie walk through and is it generally the same on most distro's cus i have installed suse 9.1 (iknow got to get a later version) and slackware 10.0 (sumit like that) anyway how do i install files cause im buying a external hardrive soon and i want to get the most out of linux with programs

can any one help me on a walk through guide on installing programs

im glad to be back lol

Epsos

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Read here and here , it's a good start. Anyway, the web is full of info on this topic; try google.

what things would you type in on google tho i have tried loads like how to install programs on linux etc but never found anything

sorry to repost but i have been on those links and i dont see where it tells me how to install things lol

Ok; try here , it's a little more detailed.

okay thankyou frrossk but yet again i am confused lol erm how do you install it through command line

im sorry for being so blatently stupid but i have never used linux properly all i got told was u copy the file into the etc/bin directory }(what file lol) so if you get me im very very confused

thankyou

Epsos

Hello,

If you are using RedHat, the basic packages (think setup images, setup.exe) is the RPM file, or RedHat Package Manager.

To install something, you would in the simplest case, type in:

rpm -i my.redhat.package.name.with.numbers.rpm

and it will install the file, or notify you with a list of dependancies, or things that you have to install first.

You might also need to do a rpm --update package.name.rpm if you have the package already installed, but want the new version.

Linux uses a lot shared libraries within the OS, and they come from all over the place, so it is not as simple as installing a Windows application, where all the dll files are "shipped along for the ride".

If you have YUM working, the installation is a lot easier:

yum install package-name

and it will go out on the internet, grab all the dependancies, and install the new package for you. But you need to configure YUM to do that.

You will need to patiently walk though the documentation, and will need to learn the style, and also learn to THINK instead of asking for the standard instructions. There is a pattern to it; I am not sure how to explain it.

Finally, if the source code is available, you can compile and install your own programs.

Perhaps the best thing to do here is for you to tell us what you are trying to install. Give us your type of Linux (GenToo, RedHat, Fedora, FreeBSD) and the name of the thing you want. We can walk you through an example to get you on the way.

Christian

christian thankyou so much lol i know i have been repeating my self at the moment i am not using a linux distro i am trying to use a good distro but this was a kind ov question whihc i didnt realise each distro didnt install the same if you get me so i would kindov of know how to become erm "a master at linux" lol sounds silly but i want to learn it for any distro

maybe someone could advice me on some books to get as i have alot of spare time now i have left school before i start collage lol to get me going lol

thankyou

anyways

Epsos

hmm... I've had an eee pc serious (4g) for one year now and I've tried and tried to open exe. and more files but they always say "open with" and since i got this pc I've never been able to open a file that i downloaded yet.I'm not an expert but i think most files are made for windows as windows is very common so windows files ARE NOT compatible with linux os.
This is just a guess :)

sudo apt-get install epsos

and ubuntu gets you installed ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.