So I've downloaded the Ubuntu ISO and burned it to a CD. I want to install it along side my current Windows OS with a bigger partition. Can some one please give me some help on how to go about doing that. I know I restart my computer with the CD in the drive, but what options should I select during the installation. I know it should be simple, but I don't want to screw this up. I know one thing I usually ask is about the format, and I have no idea. Thanks for any and all help.

Depending on which version of Windows you have, you should be able to let Ubuntu automatically resize the partition for you for you - I had Vista at the time and it worked pretty cleanly. When you reach the step about guided partitioning, one option allows you to size up your Ubuntu partition next to the Windows one.

If in doubt, and if you really don't want to hurt Windows, you could look at Wubi as an option. It will allow you to install Ubuntu inside of windows without messing around with partitions at all. I think it comes on the LiveCD now, so you should be able to just put it in and run wubi.exe. It's a bit slower, but I've never had any problems with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.