I'M new to Linux & Ubuntu. I know I could just install Open Office through the Ubuntu Software Center or the Package Manager but I wanted to do it manually. So I download the debian package from www.openoffice.org and unzipped it. Now I have a folder on my desktop lapeled "OOO310_m19_native_packed-1_en-US.9420" Inside that folder there are 48 .deb files and a sub folder named "desktop-integration" and within that folder is one file name "openoffice.org3.1-debian-menus_3.1-9420_all.deb". But none of the .deb files I try to run will work. I'M getting errors.

Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'openoffice.org-core'
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: ooobasis3.1-core01

Now I did uninstalle the version of Open Office prior to trying this. Thanks for any and all replies.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for manutm

The package manager of your distro is there to handle and resolve dependencies. Now, if you want to use debian packages, install first a debian package manager (something like gdebi on ubuntu) because just unpacking won't work. Or, from the command line, you can use dpkg -i (check out the man pages -> man dpkg.)

The package manager of your distro is there to handle and resolve dependencies. Now, if you want to use debian packages, install first a debian package manager (something like gdebi on ubuntu) because just unpacking won't work. Or, from the command line, you can use dpkg -i (check out the man pages -> man dpkg.)

I was using gdepi when I got that error message.

Ubuntu has OpenOffice installed by default. If you read the error it states that what you are trying to do: Conflicts with the installed package 'openoffice.org-core'. This means that you are trying to install OpenOffice, but it's not letting you because you already have OpenOffice installed or at least part of it. If you really want to install a different version of the software then first remove the Ubuntu version (all of it) and then install the one you want to use.

Try running a search for OpenOffice in Synaptic and make sure that nothing is installed. Then you should have no conflicts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.