so, previously, Grub would start and give me the option of the starting either Linux (fedore core) or winxp.

Using partitionmagic, I deleted the linux partition and joined it with winxp. When I rebooted, I get a GRUB prompt ("grub>"). I now have no idea how to get it start windows. Any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Boot from a win98/whatever bootdisk, run "fdisk /mbr" to clean MBR (I assume grub was installed in MBR), and reboot.

thank you for the help frrossk. I saw somewhere else on this forum that you could force grub to load windows

grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>chainloader +1
grub>boot

That got me into windows. Then my friends suggested just as you did. Again, thanks for the effort. I appreciate it. the problem is now resolved.
:thumbsup:

so, previously, Grub would start and give me the option of the starting either Linux (fedore core) or winxp.

Using partitionmagic, I deleted the linux partition and joined it with winxp. When I rebooted, I get a GRUB prompt ("grub>"). I now have no idea how to get it start windows. Any help is appreciated.

you can follow like this:
(1)grub>rootnoverify (hd0,0)
(2)grub>chainloader +1
(3)grub>boot
(4)grub>Windows

OK~~~~~~~~~~

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.