Hi :)
I've just installed a redhat 9 on my system, in order to use a dhcp server. I've selected the appropriated package before the installation.
The problem is that there are no dhcpd.conf in /etc...
So, i've tried to create my own one which looks like:
(my redhat server uses 192.168.0.2)
subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
{
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option time-offset -18000;
range 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.254
}

with this configuration, i'm unable to start my dhcp server. An error message appears, saying that I must had a line says "ddns-update-style ad-hoc", and well, that's what's I've done :-|

If someone could help me, that would be great ;)

@++

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Thanks for the link, i've found what was wrong.
My DHCP server is now working, but there is still something strange... Only the last IP adress available is given.
For example, my range is 192.168.0.10 // 192.168.0.19, but my client always get 192.168.0.19.
I've read the official redhat page, but I can't find the reason of that...
Thanks for help ;)

@++

Member Avatar for TKSS

Thanks for the link, i've found what was wrong.
My DHCP server is now working, but there is still something strange... Only the last IP adress available is given.
For example, my range is 192.168.0.10 // 192.168.0.19, but my client always get 192.168.0.19.
I've read the official redhat page, but I can't find the reason of that...
Thanks for help ;)

@++

Try here for some dhcp help. Perhaps there's an explanation in this how to.

Windows DHCP servers start out with the lowest number in the pool - *nix boxes start off with the highest number in the pool.

I have the same problem and I have tried to access the link for answer. But the link does not work. Can you help me again?

Does this work?
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-dhcp-configuring-server.html
If not, try this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=dhcp+configuring+server+redhat
and click on this first hit.

Edit: and WHY do you bump a year-old thread? It's normal for old links to be dead... Google is your friend.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.