Hello, I think it was yesterday, that I turned on my computer and my mouse wasn't working. First, Mozilla Firefox doesn't start and then I cannot move the pointer on my screen, I don't think both problems are related, but I might have deleted some file(s) or while removing an application, some system file might have been deleted/corrupted. To be honest I don't know much about hardware and I have no idea how to solve this. I was googling and I couldn't find anything to solve my problem. Some info about mouses' devices on my machine:

hwinfo --mouse
32: USB 00.0: 10503 USB Mouse
[Created at usb.122]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_458_2e_noserial_if0
Unique ID: rg_L.UTOnTCncYu1
Parent ID: zPk0.RTX9xWW_uz4
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0
SysFS BusID: 4-2:1.0
Hardware Class: mouse
Model: "KYE NetScroll + Traveler"
Hotplug: USB
Vendor: usb 0x0458 "KYE Systems"
Device: usb 0x002e "NetScroll + Traveler"
Revision: "1.10"
Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0013
Driver: "usbhid"
Driver Modules: "usbhid"
Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse1)
Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse1, /dev/input/event7, /dev/char/13:71, /dev/input/by-id/usb-Genius_NetScroll_+_Traveler-event-mouse, /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.2-usb-0:2:1.0-event-mouse, /dev/char/13:33, /dev/input/by-id/usb-Genius_NetScroll_+_Traveler-mouse, /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.2-usb-0:2:1.0-mouse, /dev/char/13:63
Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:33)
Speed: 1.5 Mbps
Module Alias: "usb:v0458p002Ed0110dc00dsc00dp00ic03isc01ip02"
Driver Info #0:
Buttons: 3
Wheels: 1
XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
GPM Protocol: exps2
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #30 (Hub)

34: ADB 00.0: 10502 Bus Mouse
[Created at input.183]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input_3
Unique ID: kZYT.VdKNesd9pT6
Model: "Macintosh mouse button emulation"
Vendor: 0x0001
Device: 0x0001 "Macintosh mouse button emulation"
Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0003
Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse0)
Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/event4, /dev/char/13:68, /dev/char/13:32, /dev/char/13:63
Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:32)
Driver Info #0:
Wheels: 0

36: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse
[Created at input.183]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX_port_logicaldev_input
Unique ID: AH6Q.aaw02jN0uv2
Model: "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
Vendor: 0x0002
Device: 0x0007 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0003
Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse2)
Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse2, /dev/input/event9, /dev/char/13:73, /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse, /dev/char/13:34, /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse, /dev/char/13:63
Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:34)
Driver Info #0:
Wheels: 0

I don't really understand a lot about hardware, probably is not even a hardware problem. My OS is:

uname -a
Linux dan08-PC 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 01:26:53 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

I think I've provided enough information, but if you need some more info about my system in order to know where is the problem coming from, just ask. Also, let me just add, that before the mouse stop working I had to change some files permissions because my desktop wasn't loading, those files were in the root's power so I had to change the file's owner, maybe some file has also changed to the root's power and when I start the computer it cannot access it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Dan08.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sounds more like an OS problem than a hardware problem

Steps I would take are:

- Test mouse on another machine
- Run a Ubuntu Repair
- Reinstall Ubuntu
- Learn how to use a computer without a mouse.

(obviously not all at the same time)

Hello, I think it was yesterday, that I turned on my computer and my mouse wasn't working. First, Mozilla Firefox doesn't start and then I cannot move the pointer on my screen, I don't think both problems are related, but I might have deleted some file(s) or while removing an application, some system file might have been deleted/corrupted. To be honest I don't know much about hardware and I have no idea how to solve this. I was googling and I couldn't find anything to solve my problem. Some info about mouses' devices on my machine:

I don't really understand a lot about hardware, probably is not even a hardware problem. My OS is:

I think I've provided enough information, but if you need some more info about my system in order to know where is the problem coming from, just ask. Also, let me just add, that before the mouse stop working I had to change some files permissions because my desktop wasn't loading, those files were in the root's power so I had to change the file's owner, maybe some file has also changed to the root's power and when I start the computer it cannot access it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Dan08.

Well, it looks like your mouse is detected. What distro are you using? You say you removed software: how did you go about removing it? Mouse and other functions are often configured in /etc/X11/xorg.conf: what is the output of:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

OK,there was nothing I could do, so I formatted my machine, everything is fine now, thanks for trying to help. Dan08

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.