New admin here.

Lost power last night and system was not on ups. I'll take that up with the powers to be here but for now I just want to get this system back up and running.

Warnign fsck.ext2 for device /dev/hdc1 exited with signal 8 90.8:%
droping you toa shell; the sysetem will reboot
when you leave the shell
give root password for maintenance
(or type contorl-d for normal startup)
(((I enter the toot passwd))))
[root@backup /root]#

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi funhouse,

First of all- welcome to our site. :)

We don't troubleshoot technical prolems in our Community Introductions forum, so I've moved your thread to a forum which is more suited to your question, and in which you will get more responses from our other Linux-savy members.

In terms of the problem:

As I'm sure you know, the power outage obviously corrupted one or more of your filesystems by shutting down the system before it could properly flush cached state information to disk. You are being dropped to the shell because the auto-fsck failed, and it is now basically telling you that you should run fsck manually from the command prompt.

Before you do though, it wold be good get more info on your partition and filesystem types/layouts, as running fsck incorrectly (using the wrong switches/specifying the wrong options) against a damaged filesystem could make matters worse. Also tell us what distro you're using, including hte specific version.

I would enter in Safe Mode

and do a fsck -Y /dev/hda1

It is really good to have this done ..

./thanks
ilaiy

HOHO,the problem also appeared in my linux server when the power outage happened.And flowed the related recommends ,the problem is resolved.

Write this only for thanks.

Hi All,I got the same error in my Linux server used as Cisco Call Manager server and i do not know the root password. Please help me out to fix this as i am new to linux stuff.

" Checking file systems
/common contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/common: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
/common: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; Run fsck Manually.
(Ii.e., without -a or -p options)
/grub: clean, ..
/partB: clean, 11/5521408 files, 181473/11036655 blocks
[FAILED]
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
***When you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue): "

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.