Hi!
i Want to deploy a server for hosting my web pages
please help
what type and version of OS?
And WHM/hosting manger?

what do you think about CentOS And Kloxo (lxcenter.org)

and who i can have best Security؟

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

By far the easiest and fastest way to do this would be by installing WAMP Server for a Windows machine.

This installs Apache Web Server, PHP and MySQL and configures most settings for you.

I used to do this the hard way, no more. WAMPServer is the way to go.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

By the way, if this is a light duty or development server, you don't even need a dedicated machine. I run this on one of my desktop machines and my laptop, both of which are general purpose machines used for email, web browsing, office suite, etc.

but i want more Security and i think WAMPServer can be hacked
i want this server for my university

Sure WAMPServer can be hacked - if the server or network are not set properly. That applies to any web server, not jut WAMP.

Apache runs probably 80 of the web servers on the planet. PHP and MySQL are also very widely used. That's what WAMP is - Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP.

Security is in how you configure your server, how your network and firewall are configured, etc.

Any web server is a secure as you make it.

My suggestion would be to install WAMP or LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) server. If you're not satisfied with the security out of the box, then Google "how to secure my wamp server" or "how to secure my lamp server" for how to make sure it's locked down.

Wikipedia will give you lists of WAMP or LAMP bundles with comparison charts. I recommended WAMPSever at the link above because I've found it works very well.

I'd also advise you not to get caught up in childish debates you'll find on Windows vs. Linux. Both are secure if configured properly, insecure if not. Pick the operating system you're most familiar with and use that one.

How about a freebsd setup, I know that most of the webservers are unix based, because of their security.

con: You need to be really good at unix to get something setup,

I'm sure that freebsd is fine, but again Unix/Linux and Windows servers can both be secure or not, depending on how they are set up.

I'd always advise anyone setting up a server for themselves to pick the operating system they are most familiar, then research the web to see how to ensure that it is locked down.

If you aren't familiar with the operating system, you're going to have a heck of a time securing the web server.

I think the BIG question is: - How much time do you want to spend with this job?
I agree with scaiferw - windows vs linux. The main job is to configure the systems properly. I personally prefer linux but just because I love to work with it.

If you have litle more time to work this out and you are curious - you can try linux - its not that hard.
But it takes a little more time and effort.

is there a package that included a linux OS with host manager program

Member Avatar for iamthwee

This is ridiculous.

Just use LAMP.

[off topic]
Monkey server is a really cool light weight web server I've used for linux. Small and sexy.

lamp will install a apache server with mysql and php
but after that if you want to have more users , you need to have some program to manage them
gnupanel or kloxo or ispconfig are some of free hosting manager prrograms

Member Avatar for iamthwee

lamp will install a apache server with mysql and php

No Sh*t sherlock.

but after that if you want to have more users , you need to have some program to manage them

Just write a simple CMS template. Or are you expecting something magical to be out there that just DOES it. Sure you've got things out there like wordPress which encompasses CMS but there is nothing to stop you writing your own.

commented: Try saying something constructive. +0
commented: Damn right! +5

Hi, yes centOS is the best one..my server is also centOS

This is pathetic... USE LAMP. DON"T LISTEN to the WAMP guy. Those guys can't even touch linux or even live with it. Because they're just stuck under Windows's skirt.

Hi!
i Want to deploy a server for hosting my web pages
please help
what type and version of OS?
And WHM/hosting manger?

what do you think about CentOS And Kloxo (lxcenter.org)

and who i can have best Security؟

You can go ahead with CentOS and you may setup iptables firewall, tcp wrappers, PAM, changing kernel parameters /etc/sysctl.conf etc... for security

For configure LAMP you can follow this link: no-one here

Thanks,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.