I'm not exactly new to Unix, but this has been irking me since I started. If I use sudo, I can get root powers for one command, however, it asks for my password, not root's. Why is this? This seems to be a very large oversight, or was it intentional?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm not exactly new to Unix, but this has been irking me since I started. If I use sudo, I can get root powers for one command, however, it asks for my password, not root's. Why is this? This seems to be a very large oversight, or was it intentional?

The intention of sudo is to give you temporary root access. It is not a good idea to login as root, not only as a security precaution, but as good practice overall. Granting admin rights temporarily allows you do things like; install software, manage users and so forth.
Once the tasks are completed, you can enter an regular user status and continue your work as usual. I am curious why this "irks" you? The sudoers file is in a well protected location in your Linux file system. Only someone with root access can add or modify that file. If someone other than you has root access, you have bigger problems than sudo...I assure you....

Hope that helps

Why is this? This seems to be a very large oversight, or was it intentional?

The guy have answered well. I would however like to answer this one, It is there by design

mmmm that is all said.

One of MS big issue is automatic file exe without the consent of the admin. this is why its easy to hack-in.

I have been hosting up 468 customers on my server and one thing i picked up 8 years ago was admin security. Dont give a gun to a mad man. And when he says he is not mad, still dont give him.

Give him when he admit that he is mad. its a sign of healing.

explore :)

Dont give a gun to a mad man. And when he says he is not mad, still dont give him. Give him when he admit that he is mad. its a sign of healing.

:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.