When I try to log into mysql with the command mysql -u root -p , i enter the password then it gives me the error:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/usr/sbin/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (20)

I really don't know why it's trying to use '/usr/sbin/mysqld/mysqld.sock' because in the /etc/mysql/my.cnf i have it set to '/usr/sbin/mysqld/mysqld.sock' because that's where i got told it was when i ran whereis mysqld.sock .

Something you might want to know is that when I cd to /usr/sbin/mysqld I get a directory now found error even though it shows up when i type ls, i tried to see if it's a file by trying to open it in vim but that gave the file not found error aswell.

I am running Ubuntu Server 10.04.1.

Okay, so now when I type mysql into the terminal, it gives the same error as before, but now it tried to use the directory I wanted to use :s

Don't worry, I changed the socket path to the default path again, and it works this time, I really have no idea why.

upgrading Ubuntu 10.04 server to 10.04.1 server randomly touches mysql socket.

There has been issues on this and proftp, and email clients. some random shows!!

:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.