I recently upgraded my Ubuntu from 9.10 to 10.04 and now it's messed up my Windows Vista partition. When I try to load Windows it boots to a strange login menu with low resolution. It then takes me to a screen with options like Repair/Fix, Recovery, Complete Recovery... I'll click Repair and and then it will say No errors found, Shut down, Restart. Please help, thanks. And if all you're going to say is "why are you using Windows at all anyway", please don't leave a response at all.

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu from 9.10 to 10.04 and now it's messed up my Windows Vista partition. When I try to load Windows it boots to a strange login menu with low resolution. It then takes me to a screen with options like Repair/Fix, Recovery, Complete Recovery... I'll click Repair and and then it will say No errors found, Shut down, Restart. Please help, thanks. And if all you're going to say is "why are you using Windows at all anyway", please don't leave a response at all.

What you are describing is the Windows boot manager trying to get your partitioning back to boot windows first. More than likely you put the boot commands on the other partition where you have linux installed. One of the easiest mistakes, (one that I have done before), is to update grub without putting the boot loader on the right boot partition. THere are a couple ways you can deal with this. You can reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 and make sure you have the NTFS partition listed and available to boot from as well as Ubuntu, and then install it grub the first (ie sda0,0) primary partition. This will pick up both windows and linux for booting. Then re-run upgrade if you like, but when it comes to setting up grub, make sure you specify, master boot partition and keep local setup as your defaults. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I will send you a link to the support docs to give you step, by step instructions. DO not reformat and re-install windows or it will just make matters worse....

Peace

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.