hi everyone i'm new to unix/linux . almost know nothing about it , but i wants to learn about it . so how can i get it on my pc . now i use windows xp

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I know there are some distributions that allow to you to run Linux as an application in Windows. In other words, you can try out the OS and it's features without having to install it. If you decide you like it, then you can install it in place of Windows or possibly try a dual boot solution so you can have both OS's. Check out this site to start:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/beginners-guide-run-linux-like-any-other-program-in-windows.html

There are tons of sites out there about Linux and the different distros that are available. If your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows XP, then there will be no problem installing Linux if you decide to.

commented: thanks a lot i will try it +1

i guess you can

------------------------

La Jolla homes , Carlsbad homes , Carmel valley real estate

thanks a lot for your attention

hi everyone i'm new to unix/linux . almost know nothing about it , but i wants to learn about it . so how can i get it on my pc . now i use windows xp

I strongly recommend checking out Distro Watch. It has links to all of the popular Linux distributions, and many of the lesser known ones.

Most distros come in Live CD/DVD format now, so you can check it out, without the need to install anything, by booting off the optical drive. If your computer supports booting from a USB key, some distros can also boot that way. This is what I did, till I found one that would support my hardware (this probably won't be an issue today, four years ago things were different). FYI, I've been Windows free for four years now.

Generally driver support with Linux is better than driver support for Windows. Note that I said generally, there are pieces of hardware with no support, though they tend to be odd things. For example all modern Linux distros work fine with all of the hardware on my MacBook (which is 4 months old). Older hardware can be an issue sometimes.

I don't know whether your interest in Linux is switching, or just learning. If it's switching, you'll have an easier time of it than I did.

FYI, my computer experiences predate the existence of Microsoft. I've never been all that impressed by them, going back to DOS 1.0.

If your using a virtual machine, I'd use Orcale VirtualBox instead of VMWare - I think it's far better!

thanks to everyone i'll consider everything you said

Of course, you can get Linux on your pc. I use Ubuntu. Ubuntu has got a gui very close to Windows and there is good community support. You can install Ubuntu side by side with Windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.