Let me make sure I am clear. If i plan to host my own domain name all I need to do is:
1. purchase a domain name of my choosing
2. setup my server accordingly to host my site
3. setup an email server to host my mail

is this correct. or do i need to purchase email accounts as well. I was a little confused when i went to purchase my domain name and the site asked me first if i wanted my site to be hosted. then it asked if i would like to purchase email addresses? please someone clarify. it sounds like you would purchase email addresses if you were having them hosted as well but i cannot find anything on the web to confirm.

Let me make sure I am clear. If i plan to host my own domain name all I need to do is:
1. purchase a domain name of my choosing
2. setup my server accordingly to host my site
3. setup an email server to host my mail

is this correct. or do i need to purchase email accounts as well. I was a little confused when i went to purchase my domain name and the site asked me first if i wanted my site to be hosted. then it asked if i would like to purchase email addresses? please someone clarify. it sounds like you would purchase email addresses if you were having them hosted as well but i cannot find anything on the web to confirm.

the registar will point your domain name to a Domain Name Service, or DNS. For instance, yourdomain.com points to IP 123.255.255.123, or yourserver.domainzone.com. Then at that point, the server needs to allow that domain in your "zone". If you register your domain and host at the same place, that should not be a problen. Usually, once the DNS is pointed, the host of servers points the services accordingly, like POP for e-mail of FTP, Telnet, etc. Usually, when you register a domain at a host site, it all comes easy. FYI, if you are purchasing e-mail accounts seperately, you are being ripped off. I register my domains at www.joker.com and point those domains to two servers, one on Linux (www.cscweb.com) and one on Windows (www.brinkster.com). Both give me a large amount of email account at no additional charge. I do however, point the DNS to their servers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.