I want to make my own web-site, and I know HTML (everyone knows it :D) and some PHP. I have a lot of experience with Windows and Linux (Particularly Ubuntu) but I never had my own server, except WAMP that I used for learning PHP. My web-site is not a big one, just a page for a program I wrote, and a small forum (that I didn't write yet). I am limited on budget, so I have to use my dad's old computer, and I am planning to get around 30-150 visitors a day. I don't care how much time it takes to set up the OS and the server, I have plenty of time :D. I have Windows Server 2008 disk that I got from my mom (she used to work for a small company which fell apart and they just gave her the Windows). I think I should use Linux, (maybe Debian) because the computer I am planning to use is pretty week, and I HEARD linux runs better on old computers.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

And if I should use Linux which distro do you think I should choose, and the server program (Apache or something else)?

CentOS is probably the most common actually. (For servers)
It's basically a free version of RedHat Enterprise Linux. (Meaning you'll have to learn to use a RHEL distro)

I decided to use Ubuntu Server. Thanks everyone :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.