I have a toshiba Satellite 4000cdt with 3com589 serial nic. Everytime I boot up the nic fail to initialize, It says that the card is not present. I know the card is there and when i look at the network setting (gui base) it shows up but I can't activate it. Please help this newbie!! Thanks. Also how come my ifconfig, isconfig, route, etc.... any network related command doesn't work.. I do switch to Superuser when I run the commands. Do I have to have an IP address for the command to work? Other info, it's getting IP from DHCP. >>Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

can u post a specific model # for the nic (ie, 3C589D-TP)? have u tried to re-install the drivers?

I have a toshiba Satellite 4000cdt with 3com589 serial nic. Everytime I boot up the nic fail to initialize, It says that the card is not present. I know the card is there and when i look at the network setting (gui base) it shows up but I can't activate it. Please help this newbie!! Thanks. Also how come my ifconfig, isconfig, route, etc.... any network related command doesn't work.. I do switch to Superuser when I run the commands. Do I have to have an IP address for the command to work? Other info, it's getting IP from DHCP. >>Thanks

Check to see if you had install the network card securely on the PCI.

Do you really think that the original poster really cares after 3 years? :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.