I just installed Ubuntu Server but I'M not getting any network activity, let alone an internet connection. When I type ifconfig I only get the local ip address of 127.0.0.1. I have connect the eth0 port to one of the open ports on my wireless router and I'M still getting nothing. If it helps, when I installed ubuntu server I chose "do not set up network at this time" because I was installing it while hooked to KVM away from my router. Any ideas how I could get my server to pick up the local network so I can actually use it, and preferable get it connected to the internet as well. Bear in mind that I really am pretty Linux green, especially when it comes to anything with networking. Thanks for any and all replies.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I could be wrong, but I think you just need to open up /etc/network/interfaces (or create it if it doesn't exist) and add the following lines:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Thanks JasonHippy that's all it took. I can't believe it was that easy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.